Zu Soul Supreme Recap -- Owners, what are your preferred system pairings with them?

I'll save a long backstory, but in short I've got the Zu Soul Supremes and I absolutely love them for what they do, at least in my relatively small (13x15x9) listening room.  I've had them a couple years as a follow-on to previous Zu speakers (Unions and Cubes, which I still own).  Those followed some vintage Altec horns (16 ohm Valencias and 19s)--which I love, but love the Zus more for daily listening.  Sean recommended the Supremes over the Druids at the time for the size of my listening room, although I suspect the Druids would have been as good or better regardless.

My interest is to hear from other Zu Soul Supreme owners...not may posts in this forum from owners that I can find.  I'd prefer to focus this discussion on the Soul Supremes, as there is a lot of great info already on the Druids and Definitions (which I assume are more prevalent in the wild), even though I'm sure have a ton of overlap in system synergy.

So...

What system components are you finding to be great/phenomenal matches to the Soul Supremes, what have you compared them to, and what hasn't worked as well?   Anyone running them with what you consider to be really high-end gear?  I'm super curious to see how far these speakers can go before a speaker upgrade makes way more sense.

Jay
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xparsons
I mentioned that term in my case to explain why I made some of the "investment" decisions I made in my system.  You are thinking about the decisions correctly in your case in my opinion.  If you lived with a set of speakers for 20 years, well done--that means you really made a wise choice and got significant enjoyment from them, I presume.

I have a buddy with the DWs and he has them in a large room and they are quite good, but i think a slightly different sound than the Soul Supremes.  His room is a little boomy (2 story) and he plays them loud and that's what he was going for in that room I think.  The heart of the Zu sound will be similar between the two speakers, but I feel like the Soul Supremes, while they still rock, were intended to give a little more refined sound in a slightly more controlled environment (ie. smaller room, but not necessarily a "small" room).  I predict they are simply a little more capable.

As another comparison, I started my Zu trip with Unions, which I only sold recently to my cousin who loves them, and the Soul Supremes were a nice step up for me in the medium-sized room I had at the time.  I suspect the Unions to perform at similar levels to DWs.  I feel like the Soul Supremes enjoy a little side reflection to sound larger and more magical ...they feel a little smaller in the room I have them in now which doesn't have the side reflections.  Again, I think the Soul Supremes may need really strong placement to get their real performance, but when you do, it should be a good level or two above some of Zu's lower models.

Again, this is all my opinion, but in the right room conditions, the Soul Supremes are a VERY capable speaker that it would take a LOT of investment to make the weak link in a phenomenal system.  I feel that they are a sincere sweet spot in the very strong Zu lineup.
Post removed 
Can someone explain why the Supremes are says to mate wuth solid state or valves but the Superfly only with valves?
So 4 months has past since this, I ended up going with another pair of Dirty Weekends. High gloss red. But.....they went to do final assembly on them last week and noticed a flaw in the finish. So they have to start the finish process over again. Which is now about another month out. So I am again at a crossroads. I can have a pair of Soul Supreme's in about a week. And I keep gravitating that way. I just bought a new Hegel H390 amp for these speakers. Which will be amazing. I am already using it on my current Dirty Weekends. I want slam, I want live music sound, but I also want some refinement and that "audiophile" experience that I have got with my other speakers, which are Quad S-2's. I keep thinking that the Supreme is the way to go. But I do LOVE my current Dirty Weekends. The room size is small, so the Soul Supreme's might be right at home. 12X10 with 8 foot ceilings. They will be positioned about 7" off the side walls and the front baffle of the speaker about 30" from rear wall. No openings, controlled, can shut the door.