If you stream music from the internet, I can't recommend this more highly

I had been using a Roon Nucleus to stream Qobuz, with my Chord Qutest directly connected to the Nucleus. I thought I was getting pretty decent sound quality. And then I got a marketing email from Small Green Computer touting some of their optical gear. The basic idea is that normal cables and connections used to stream from the internet pick up noise of one kind or another (radio frequencies and electromagnetic something or other). But fiber optic cables and their connections/interfaces do not. I don’t know anything about anything, but it made theoretical sense to me, it wasn’t a huge amount of money ($1,400), and with a 30 day return policy I figured I could always return it if I didn’t hear any improvement. Well, I didn’t just hear a slight improvement; it was like turning on the lights in a dark room. Much greater clarity and detail, much better micro and macro dynamics, better timbre to acoustic instruments -- overall just more lifelike. Two quick examples: I’ve listened to some of Steely Dan’s top songs 100s of times over the course of my life, and this is the first time I’d ever noticed a particular and very subtle sound characteristic of Fagen’s keyboard in Babylon Sister. It’s hard to describe, but it’s like there’s a slight sound of air being exhaled by it. The other example: the specific timbre of whatever percussive instrument is used at the beginning of Copeland’s "Fanfare for the Common Man" (a recording by the Minnesota Orchestra). There’s more of a metallic sound than a drum skin sound to it that I didn’t know was there before. The metallic sound starts in the center and then projects out and to the sides, like a wave washing over you. Anyway, I’m just thrilled about having stumbled upon the whole "optical" thing and felt obligated to let others know about it. If you stream music over the internet, I highly recommend giving it a try. (The product I got was the opticalRendu, with the linear power supply option, and the Fiber Ethernet Converter Bundle option.)
128x128hiphiphan
@hiphiphan  Thanks for sharing this fiber info with us. This is the 3rd time this week I hear about SGC and the fiber optic devices you mention.

I have a dCS Rossini DAC/Streamer, I use a copper Ethernet cable from my UniFi Switch to the Rossini. I don't use a computer, so no Roon or USB.  Should I expect to hear the same benefits of reduced noise and EMI by using the fiber optic devices you mention?

The SGC website is a bit confusing as to the equipment I would need.  In looking at the SystemOptique tab, I believe I need an opticalRendu with a linear power supply for $1,399 and a Fiber Ethernet Converter Bundle for an additional $50.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Regarding a couple of the questions above about the traditional "optical" ports on audio devices -- this was discussed a little bit earlier.  As one poster put it: "Different optical we're talking here. The topic is on ethernet over fiber optic, not TOSLINK over fiber optic."

Also, I questioned some audio manufacturers about this recently.  Here's what they said (starting with Small Green Computer):

Question I emailed to SGC: I was curious why other audio companies don't go the optical route, so I did a little reading and stumbled across some articles that said optical is more limited with regard to high-res signals/files. So, what is the highest resolution file the OpticalRendu can handle and faithfully pass on to the DAC? The highest res files on Qobuz are 24/192. Does that pose any problems for optical?

Answer: Other companies are behind in technology. With 18 to 24 month design cycles it will be a few years before everybody else goes optical. You have to be VERY careful and read closely. The word "optical" in the old world refers to SPDIF optical. which is very limited. Optical Ethernet has no limits. We support every rate available on any DAC in the world. As of today that is 36/384 PCM and DSD512.

Question I emailed to Baetis Audio (which makes customized music servers): I have another question about Baetis servers: can they come with a Toslink out, capable of transmitting high-resolution files (at least 192kHz/24, and preferably higher) to a DAC with a Toslink in? It seems to me that fiber optic cable would completely solve the problem of line noise (from "dirty" power, radio frequencies, etc.).

Answer: Many of our systems do come with a TOSLINK out capability. However, these are not subjected to the clean signal that our daughterboard’s SPDIF and AES provide. While in theory an optical transmission of audio data is great, the implementation of the TOSLINK standard is not so great. Many DACs are limited to 96KHz via TOSLINK and 192 is the absolute maximum of the standard, I believe. In practice, our Coaxial SPDIF and AES is a MUCH better option.

Question I emailed to Berkeley Audio (maker of a very highly respected, high-end DAC): Hello. Regarding your flagship DAC, does the TOSLINK port support 192kHz/24? And is it the best input for sound quality?

Answer: In answer to your question; optical Toslink has limited bandwidth which results in slower data transitions which in turn increase effective jitter in the data receiver. With an excellent cable and source device Toslink can sometimes pass 192kHz but not reliably. 96kHz is a more realistic limit. We provide a Toslink input primarily to allow connection to devices such as AV receivers without coupling noise from them to the DAC through a ground connection. 

Balanced AES/EBU is the best format for sound quality. It is also preferred over coaxial SPDIF. The primary reason is that it has 8 to 10 times greater voltage swing than coaxial SPDIF which results in less effective jitter in the DAC’s data receiver output. 

If possible, use a 1.5 meter long AES/EBU cable. We recommend a 1.5 meter length because it is short enough to have low capacitance providing fast data transitions and long enough to reduce the negative effect on data receivers of reflected energy caused by return loss in real world transmission lines that use connectors with impedance discontinuities.

Hiphiphan: "I don’t know anything about anything, but it made theoretical sense to me, it wasn’t a huge amount of money ($1,400)"  

Wow...  This literal quote from the OP says it all for me.  Read it again and really think about it.   Let's break it down.
Part 1:  OK, so why should I listen to you at all?
Part 2:  If you don't know anything, how are you qualified to say that it makes theoretical sense?
Part 3:  $1400 not a huge amount for a cable?  REALLY!! What planet are you from?  Trust fund babyland?  I'm not poor, but I work every day for my money. 

I'm not usually a hater, but something smells fishy about this one.
I am however, an engineer, and it seems like any decent DAC with a reclocking system of some sort would negate this cable.  I will agree that this system 'could' improve the sound of an inexpensive streamer/DAC combo.  But $1400 is not cheap.  

cycles2:  I agree, the SGC website is confusing. I must have visited that thing 100 times before I kind of figured out what was what.  But regarding your question:  I don't know this for sure, but it sounds like your set-up is already so optimized for reducing noise (no computer/USB out, hi-fi switch, dCS Rossini DAC/Streamer), that I don't know how much of an improvement you'd get from the opticalRendu.  Maybe someone else can chime in about this?  

But regarding what all you would need to try it out:  I think you're on the right track.  Maybe Andrew can confirm this, but I think you would plug the little optical converter box (which is part of the Fiber Ethernet Converter Bundle) into your switch, then you would plug one end of the optical cable into this converter box and the other into the optical port on the opticalRendu, then connect the Rendu to the Rossini via USB.  By the way, a respectable reviewer on YouTube (Hans Beekhuyzen) in his review of the opticalRendu seemed to say that you might get better results if you used the Optical Module instead of the cheap little media converter box.  But I can't vouch for that since I haven't tried it for myself (at least not yet).
Congratulations, and welcome to the club! I too reasoned it all out and concluded it all made sense to me. I’ve owned the Sonore Signature Optical Rendu for about 6 months now and couldn’t be happier. I too am blown away by the SQ.