Any way to listen to wav or high bit files with anything approaching audiophile sound?

Forgive the question, but this is my first time posting on Audiogon in a few years and I'm not up on some of the latest technology.  I'm doing a project where I'm going through as much music as possible for a blog I'll be creating where I find my 1,000 favorite albums of all time and ranking them.  I'm most of the way through my thousands of CD's (don't do LP's), and I have decent audiophile equipment, though nothing top of the line.

For other music, I'm going to have to listen to it online or purchase a digital version of the music, as there's no way I can afford to buy thousands more cd's, or they're out of print on cd's (as much of the music I love that I don't have is somewhat obscure), or they never existed on cd.  Some albums I know I won't be able to find. 

First off, is there a way to legally find more obscure albums online other than illegal downloading? 

Secondly, is there ANY way to listen to said music in anything remotely approaching audiophile sound quality?  Does it have to be a certain file type or bit rate?  I've always stayed away from digital files in the past, but now I kind of need them.  Is there some kind of audiophile digital storage device where I can download music to and play it on my stereo system?  I'm pretty ignorant about these things, so again forgive me, and any help would be appreciated.  I don't expect the music to sound quite as high fidelity as using cd's on audiophile equipment, but what are my options to get as close as possible?
soulgoober
clearthinker - this project is doomed to failure?  wow, thanks for the asshole statement!  I'd defend myself based on what you think i'm trying to do, but since you're being an asshole, no thanks.
On the bright side, since the project requirement is, “I'm going through as much music as possible,” it’s literally impossible to fail. 
Hello Soulgoober.  Someone has prejudiced you against digital sound. How sad. Do you have access to a computer? You will need one. "Youtube" has recordings of an enormous number of albums recorded by fans on their own equipment. Most of them are between decent and quite nice. Just type in the name of the album you'd like to find and you'll get a list of the available recordings. You could go to Amazon and see if the album is available used (it'll cost you $5 or so with shipping, maybe more). Do you have decent headphones? A very small DAC that came to the market too late (Dragonfly got all the business) from Bitstream, the BTS 300, is available from Parts Connexion in Canada for only $10! You read it right. Is it super duper, no. Is it C+ to B, yes. If you want an obviously better one, look for a used Drangonfly Black, Meridian Explorer, or Music Streamer 2. If you can spend $400 or so new, the SMSL400 performs very nicely, probably best buy for the money spent. Enjoy your project.
@ OP
Many ways. Get
- good Internet service (> 50 Mbps)
- good modem (eg Arris Surfboard)
- good WiFi (Google or Linksys or similar mesh system)
- any components with switching power supplies plugged in a conditioner with HF/digital filters
- minimize galvanic connection (ie, use WiFi, TosLink over Ethernet/USB cable)

I run Tidal via Roon, using a MacBook to run the Roon core. Tidal hi Rez via Roon/WiFi to an OPPO 205 (again via WiFi) is on par with the same recording on SACD - same OPPO. Not noisy, superb spatial information and micro detail. Many ‘blind’ listening sessions with audiophile friends. The evidence is clear - superb set up. 

Good luck!
@soulgoober
If you’re after "audiophile" sound, seems like the weakest link in your audio chain is the "Sony 595 multi-CD player". While Sony makes good/great sounding equipment in the consumer/mass market sector, they are not well known or spoken as "audiophile" level. You need to upgrade the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). The last few years, digital audio has grown by leaps and bounds, current models easily outperforming as recent as the previous year’s offerings. Technological advancements and high market demand has made audiophile products at all price points, even affordable (not discount cheap, but you can come up with the cash without sacrificing bodily parts) products.

Get a audiophile DAC for audio streaming, attach a transport (not sure if your Sony 595 multi-CD player can act like a transport only - I’m too lazy to research for manual) if you want to spin CDs.  You will be amazed...lost in the music.

Also, there’s been high technological growth in audiophile earphones and headphones resulting in these products at all price levels. Affordable audiophile sound. Checkout what others suggested to look at (I only peeked at earphones/headphones, not into them...yet) https://www.head-fi.org/