Difference between amps

OK so let's talk amps.  I'm sure this has been addressed before but are there real differences between  multi-channel amps among the various brands in the mid-fi to high end markets with comparable specifications? Adcom, Anthem, Classe, Emotiva, Krell, McIntosh, Marantz, NAD, Parasound, Outlaw, Rotel, etc.  What are the differences in these brands?   I can site one difference.  In multi-channel Marantz amps, the specs never state "all channels driven".  They are notorius for misleading the consumer with their power output ratings.  But that's a marketing decision. What are the real or should I say physical or performance differences among these?  .  
pdn
Hello PDN.  You almost never need more than 10 watts per channel. Receivers generally don't have power supplies that can really supply the "rated" 100+ wpc they might advertise. The gear sold in chain stores is made to a lower standard than so called "audiophile" equipment. That said, I have in daily use, multi channel amps from Emotiva (5 ch), Starke (4 ch), and Integra (9 ch). All get good to rave reviews and work beautifully for me. I don't know how many channels you need, but the Starke AD4-320 is absolutely fabulous and supplies four channels at 220 watts into 8 ohms, and 320 wpc into 4 ohms. I have two of these amps powering two 4 way speakers (one amp channel per driver, electronic crossover). Stick to a serious brand and you should be fine. My pal has a 7 channel Emotiva and loves it. Enjoy the music.
that's my point... easy to drive, yet sensitivity under 90 dB (87 per stereophile measurements as you linked). limiting one's self to "highly efficient" speakers over 90 dB sensitivity, without regard for other factors, would be senseless except when using flea-watt amps.

This is good information, I have  80 db sensitivity speakers that aren't as hard ony amp as 92bd sensitivity speakers and they are both 4 ohms. So figure that out millercarbon.
pdn, you mentioned listening to music in multi channel. I assume you are using an HT receiver or pre-pro as your preamp? If so, you may find that a dedicated music preamp, or integrated amp might make a larger difference in your music enjoyment (for 2CH listening) than adding a better 2CH amp to your current preamp. I get it that multi channel music may sound better in your current setup. But personally, I found that moving into a quality dedicated 2CH pre was a revelation in sound beyond my previous multi channel experience. That is why I recommended a good integrated amp with HT bypass. Get a loner from a local shop if you can and listen before you buy.