Recommendations for a modestly priced analog system

I have been listening to digital music only for a number of years. Now I am thinking of adding an analog system. I don't want to go nuts buying expensive components. I just want to get under the proverbial point of diminishing return. I have  Cary Audio 98P preamp, VAC phi 200 (planning) and Sound Lab ESL speakers. My budget from turntable to cartridge is $5-7K. I prefer buying used for the best bang for the buck. As I am getting older, I need a no fuss, durable and low maintenance system. Any recommendations?
128x128chungjh
@rauliruegas 

I agree with you. However, never having had an hifi analog system, I am not even sure I will be able to hear what could be improved, unless it is super obvious. One never knows the deficiency of a decent system unless you hear a GREAT system. These days, listening to other gears is highly impractical.
What kind of sound do you prefer? Equally good turntables will not sound the same. And what kind of music do you intend to listen on the turntable?  Phono stage is very very important, and it should match electrically with your preamp too. MM vs MC is an endless debate. The answer is - it depends. Turntable itself is more important than tonearm, which in turn is more important than cartridge. But they all should reasonably good of course. Are you going to buy original pressings or reissues ? I always seek out best pressings, this makes big difference.

I prefer Nottingham Analogue and Pear Audio sound. You might prefer SME or Simon Yorke sound. In any case, I suggest you go British. Pear Audio is in essence British, they continue the tradition of the Nottingham designer Tom Fletcher.

Aesthetics and Allnic are excellent choices for the phono stage.

In terms of cost, speaking new modern cartridges not vintages, new phono stage should cost at least two times more than the cartridge. So, say, $1500 cartridge will require $3k-$5k phono stage to get almost everything out of it.