DAC choice advice - hard-drive based system

Putting together a system using network-attached USB hard drive (LaCie 500GB through a Linksys NSLU2), all music ripped lossless (FLAC), delivered over my 802.11g wireless net using a Squeezebox3.

In the general price range I'm considering, the Audiomirror, Perpetual Tech, Stello, and (it seems you can't *not* consider this) the Benchmark, all look interesting. I realize the Audiomirror takes a different approach as it's n/os.

I listen to a very wide variety of music.

Can you guys help me out with the pro's and con's of these options? I'm new to the DAC concept - am I missing anything I should be considering?

Also, what is the concept behind something like the Perpetual Tech P-1A? I don't really understand what it does (but have a general sense of the concept of oversampling). Is it just oversampling, similar to what's already built into the Benchmark for instance? How about the Audio Alchemy stuff, what's that do?

Thanks! Great forum, it's nice to have access to experts that don't mind speaking in language plain enough for us neophytes...
sixstringslinger3b7a
A couple areas I would steer you to are the Audio Note and Sakura System (47 Labs) web sites. There is some good information here on the non-os philosophy and why these designers consider it superior to upsampling. In the case of my DAC search (which ultimately led me to the Audio Mirror), it was important for me to understand these concepts and detrmine which I favored. My reasons for going the non-os route were simple, to me the music sounded more natural and was very close to analog. Now not all non-os DACs reproduce music equally, just as upsamplers don't, but if you want that analog sound from your digital playback you can't go wrong with brands like Audio Mirror, Audio Note, Audio Sector, and 47 Labs. If possible listen to one versus an upsampler. Then you will hear what I am saying.
Benchmark DAC-1 is probably the best value at this pricepoint (<$1K). It has the advantage of balanced outs as well - make sure to get a new one, not a used one. They have improved significantly over the past year.

The Perpetual P-3A can also sound as good as the Benchmark, but not without a lot of mods. the advantage of this one is that it has an I2S interface, which is a direct path to the DAC chip. With a USB to I2S converter, such as the Off-Ramp I2S, this is the simplest and best-sounding of the computer interfaces.
Audioengr - what can you tell us about changes to the Benchmark DAC. I called Benchmark several months ago, and they told me that as long as the DAC has the stepped attenuator there have been no significant changes added. I think the stepped attenuator came in more than a year ago, but am not sure.
I strongly recommend you take advantage of as many 30 day trial periods as you can. I have been through 5 DAC's on my hard drive based system and auditioning has been fun and very informative. With Audio Advisor you could try the Benchmark and the Bel Canto which are both in your price range. I think Music Direct also allows 30 day trials as well.
DAC-1 changes:
1) added output buffer to SE outputs
2) lowered SE output impedance
3) added pot to balance L/R gain
4) added film SMT caps for coupling
5) changed regulators to cheapo plastic ones to eliminate plastic bushings
6) changed Op-amps from Philips to TI
7) stepped attenuator
8) changed LED resistors to reduce brightness

I think this is more than one change.