Half the information on CDs is analogue

I would like to argue that one of the reasons that some transports sound significantly better than others is because much of the information on a given CD is actually analogue (analog) information.
An excellent transport does not just read digital information: 1s and 0s (offs and ons); it must be sensitive enough to pick up the other information that has been stored as a physical property of the CD medium. This 'physical' information, like the tiny bumps in the groove of a vinyl record, is analogue information.

Before I say more I'd like to hear what others think.
exlibris
By the way, your post is a little elitist and if the 'phd' that you end your ID with stands for what I think it stands for, well, in these circles that's a little elitist as well.
Best regards,
DH
MA, MLS
You haven't lived unless you have laid down flat on the floor and kicked your legs to propel yourself around in circles with an air guitar in your hands and with "Back in Black" playing at 110 decibels (average) and screaming all the time Angus, Angus....

Long live Rock and Roll!

Seriously: Back in Black is a pretty awesome recording....it reminds me of another Aussie band that produced extremely high quality recordings: INXS.
I think Back in Black is one of the best recorded straight-ahead rock albums of all time. Listen to that, then The Darkness' Permission to Land for an example of what overcompression does to a recording. Permission to Land would have been an incredible sounding recording if a little restraint was shown in mastering.
Jason, I've often wondered how to go about making some really fine recordings for my firends and myself. Do you know any resources on the web for amateur recording. I know that Manley makes a nice 8 channel Tube mixing board and I've noticed that many of the recordings of the 1950's and early sixties have the characteristic sound of tube equipment. But that's as far as I've gotten with that idea. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

there's a great discussion board at www.taperssection.com
the vast majority of folks over there are only interested in two-channel recordings, and portable gear that can easily be powered at concerts and similar situations. I'm not sure what music (local bands, big acts, your own playing, etc, etc) you are interested in recording, but you'll certainly be able to find a lot of options for portable gear.
lots of a recording's information isn't on the cd at all. that hasn't changed since the inception of the compact disc. no player retreives missing information...your brain fills that in.....also, the vast majority of music lovers don't even vaguely fit an audiophile's definition of one. its their world..we're just in it......investigate actual sales numbers on hi end recordings if you want to get a wake up call.