HDMI (i2s) recommendations for Denafrips Gaia -> Terminator

I have a denafrips gaia on the way to use with my Terminator DAC and I'd like to connect it using I2S since I've heard that this is the best sounding method. 

Any recommendations on a good sounding HDMI cable? I'm considering the AQ Firebird 48 which is fairly pricey and is probably the maximum I'd want to spend ($1299 for 0.75m length).
128x128jaytor
For I2S, length of the cable is the most critical performance factor. You want to go very short e.g., no more than 6 inches.

Sure, a longer cable will work, but the I2S standard was designed to communicate PCM audio data between integrated circuits in an electronic device, not between external peripherals.

Longer cables can result in differences in propagation delay between the clock line and data line, which can result in synchronization problems between the SCK, WS and data signals (mainly at high sampling frequencies and bitrates).

Since the I2S bus doesn't have any error detection mechanism, this can introduce significant decoding errors.

I am aware of the issues with i2s, and agree that keeping the cable length short is desirable.

Most devices that support I2S between boxes (including the Denafrips products) use additional buffering (generally LVDS - low voltage differential signaling) which can support cable lengths of 2-3 meters.

As you point out, the longer the cable length, the more likely that slight differences in cable length and propagation delay will cause skew between the clock and data signals. Also, LVDS only has a modest amount of common-mode noise rejection, so the longer the cable, the more likely external noise will interfere with the signal. 

With my DCC and DAC on shelves one above the other, I can get away with a 0.75m cable (even one that is fairly stiff), so that's what I'm looking for.

I'm a little leery about buying a hand-made cable since the consistency of the individual conductors lengths, twisting, and shielding will all have an impact on the amount of skew between signals.

I think this is the only type of cable used in audio where clock and data are transmitted separately and where there is no error detection/correction, so example-to-example differences (particularly for a hand-made cable) may be more significant for this type of cable than any other type of audio cable. 
I've had i2s cables measuring 0.7m, 1m, and 1.5m and can't say I've had any issues with any of those lengths. 

If it makes you feel better, go for the AQ ones. They're built well and should do the job. But I think u may miss out on some really well built artisan cables, lovely music, and a more personal/human transaction and after care service.

I really enjoyed the whole transaction process between the guys at pink faun and highendcableshop. They were a pleasure to talk to and deal with, and very forthcoming with information.

I guess, at the end of the day they are just cables that will probably cost a fraction of your entire setup. So may be worthwhile to try a few out and settle on whichever you like best. Check around for return policies too. 
@docroasty - I appreciate your input. It does give me a bit more confidence to try one or two of the artisan cables. At least many of these are specifically intended for use as an i2s interconnect, which is more than you can say about AQ. As you point out, they aren't that expensive in the scheme of things, and are considerably less than I'd pay for the higher-end AQ cables. 

For now, I'm going to hold off on making a decision and see how well the Gaia works over AES to my Terminator. I've got a bunch of generic HDMI cables hanging around that I may try just to see how well it works. 

Still hoping my Gaia will arrive Monday, but Fedex hasn't confirmed a delivery date yet.
@docroasty - took your advice and ordered a 0.75m Tubulus Argentus. Thanks for the help. 

My Gaia arrived yesterday, so I've only got about 24 hours on it, but it's definitely an improvement. Imaging is sharper, a bit more detail, and bass has more weight and texture. I can't wait to see what it can do with a better i2s cable. 

- Jay