Sound quality impact - preamp vs power amp?

So how best to deploy available funds.  Better to spend on a high end preamp or outstanding power amp?  This assumes you already have high end stuff elsewhere in system.

emergingsoul
If you match a top level preamp with a lower level amp, you will reveal all the weak points of the amp. If you match a top level amp with a lower level preamp, you will never hear the top performance of your amp. 
So I agree they are equally important because the whole point of high end audio is trying to eliminate the weakest link. 
the whole point of high end audio is trying to eliminate the weakest link.

I disagree.  I believe the whole point is to optimize the synergy among your components & room to best connect you to the music and stir your soul.
If I didn't know better and only read some of these posts, I'd think all I had to do was get easy to drive speakers and piece things together from there. Good lord.
Everyone is missing the point here. How many excellent preamplifiers are in existence vs. excellent amplifiers? The point is that it is extremely difficult to find superb preamplifiers which will make your system sound better, and they are plenty of good to excellent amplifiers to be found. That’s why my vote goes for the preamplifier.
Depends on what future plans are. If you put more into one than the other do you plan to upgrade the lesser soon. If this is going to be more long term setup i would say get an amp and pre-amp that match well. If you get one higher quality than the other then you will not get the most of the higher end component.