High end Class D amps?

Just an observation and a question. Are there 'high end' Class D amps out there that are just as good as Class A, A/B amps? I realize that's a sensitive question to some and I mean no disrespect---but whenever I see others' hifi systems on social media, all of the amps are A or A/B. There's always Pass, McIntosh, Moon, Luxman, Accuphase, etc. Where are the Class Ds? For folks out there that want more power for less efficient speakers and can't afford the uber expensive Class As, A/Bs, what is there to choose from that's close to those brands? Thanks
bluorion
If all you have heard is a stock Bel Canto Ref 600.....then you have no idea how good the latest class D is. The Ref 600s use a stock Hypex power supply, a stock Hypex NC500 module and an input buffer that is an integrated circuit powered by two three pin regulators.......and this is for $6K per pair. Now, Bel Canto has updated this amp (now called an e1x)) to make it a stereo amp using the same stock NC500 modules and a single Hypex power supply but finally they made their own discrete front end buffer for the amp......this amp is also $6K and you can read a review (that is completely worthless) on Stereophile. Let’s look at what VTV does....They will sell you a stereo amp with two Purifi modules (slightly better than the NC500s), a single Hypex power supply and their own discrete input buffer board with say Sparko Labs discrete buffers.........basically the same configuration as Bel Canto and the cost is $1500 delivered (including shipping) and 30 day money back. One quarter the price!!!! My modifications to the VTV amp cost $1050 bringing a totally tweaked Purifi based amp to $2600......less than half of Bel Cantos latest thang. The mods completely transform the amp. I actually mod the Purifi board (change the output coils to super OFC air core coils, use better caps on the output filter and bypass the power supply with modified Wima caps).

Bruno is just one of many people who are pushing class D further. The Merrill amps, the AGD amps, the new Technics amps ($10K pure digital integrated coming early next year...OMG!...check it out!), the Cherry amps, New Class D amps, etc. etc. are all fantastic sounding and completely designed by other people. The Purifi module is not "pure" sounding. My mods make it way more "pure". This game goes on and on. As these latest amps (and about to be released amps) get out for more people to hear then the reality of what class D is doing now will finally be known. I will be sending out one of my modded VTV/Purifi amps on tour......so get in line to see what is possible.

Class D is coming of age. Some are still too expensive for most (like the Merrill and AGD amps).......but my modded Purifi and soon others at $3K or less is what we need. The (to be released in Feb.) pure digital class D Technics integrated at $10K...is a preamp, amp, DAC and phono stage with wild distortion reducing stuff in it......so, it is really not that expensive (and you save space, have only one power cord, and no interconnects).

Class D is coming of age.
Yes when you have this sort of GaN technology with Class-D amps like the flagship Technics SE-R1 with it’s 3 x higher 1.5mhz switching speed, to fix the Achilles Heel of all class-d’s, in the upper mids/highs that many complain about after living with them.
And hopefully they’ve carried this switching speed onto their new integrated flagship, yet to be released (Feb-2021) SU-R1000 Integrated.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/technics-su-r1000-a-new-class-d-gan-technology-integrated
mikem:"  Thanks Tim.. Appreciate the response, but I’m not giving up my Inefficient, heavy Pass class A amp anytime soon..  It sounds too good and checks all the boxes that I find important in an amplifier, and it’s executed so very well. Appreciate the response and Happy Holidays !!"

Hello mikem,

No problem, I was never trying to talk you out of your excellent Pass amp or the very good performance of the class A topology in general.  I was more thinking you may want a much cooler running amp, also with very good sound qualities, as an alternative for the warmer months.

Enjoy and Happy Holidays to you, too!
Tim

Ricevs, I believe Millercarbon has already claimed the title of Master of self Promotion. Perhaps you can choose a new title?

There is nothing wrong with a 3 terminal regulator if followed with adequate filtering. It will be sonically transparent especially if driving a stage with feedback.

I am sure you have measurements that justify your claim of "purer"?
It's problematic for class D when Bruno P. himself in an interview states that if you don't care about efficiency there's no reason to get anything but class A.