Why do some think "music" (not gear, trading, etc.) is the ultimate end?

A recent thread spurred a debate about the word "audiophile." Again. It went round and round in the usual ways.

What I don't understand is why so many take for granted that loving music is superior to loving gear. Or that gear is always -- and must be -- a mere *means* to music, which is the (supposedly) true end.

But if you stop and think about it, why do we love music? It gives us enjoyment.
Isn't that why people love gear? The enjoyment?
Or even, to push the question, buying, selling, changing gear? That's for enjoyment, no?

So, it raises the difficult question: Why do some think that "music" as an "enjoyment" is better than "gear" or "shopping, buying, selling, trading"?

Not everyone believes this, but it is the most prevalent assumption in these discussions -- that "love of music" is the end-which-cannot-be-questioned. 

So, while music is the largest end I'm personally striving for, I do realize that it's because it brings me enjoyment. But the other facets of the hobby do, too. And I'm starting to realize that ranking them is an exercise but not a revelation of the "one" way everything should sort out. It's all pretty subjective and surely doesn't seem like a basis on which I could criticize someone else's enjoyment, right? 

What do you think? On what grounds do you see it argued that "music" is a *superior* or *ultimate* end? Whether you agree or not, what reasons do you think support that conclusion?
128x128hilde45
I think we can all agree that it starts with the music. We love music so we chase gear that makes the music sound better. Then, once we have what we think is our ultimate gear, we chase music that makes the gear sound better. Then repeat. It becomes like a dog chasing it’s tail.
Said dog is usually happy but sometimes frustrated. 
Maybe I missed the point of your post as a rejoinder to the other thread,
@hilde45, but who said you can’t love gear for its own sake?

Many do, and I can’t improve on the way I asked the question in the OP or the rejoinders. @rocknss made a comment which captured how music can be a value without necessarily dismissing the value of the equipment. 
Well, you can personalize your system to your own taste and style, but you can’t personalize the music.  Something to be said for creating a personal system being a most fun and rewarding pursuit.  Enjoyment from the gear is different than from the music, for me.  Glad I enjoy both, separately and together.
12-10-2020 5:01am 
I think we can all agree that it starts with the music. We love music so we chase gear that makes the music sound better. Then, once we have what we think is our ultimate gear, we chase music that makes the gear sound better. Then repeat. It becomes like a dog chasing it’s tail.
Said dog is usually happy but sometimes frustrated.

That’s it, in a nutshell 🙂
@hilde45- I'm not taking you to task. In fact, maybe you started this thread in response to one I missed-- I was thinking of the thread that said you aren't really an audiophile unless you are churning through equipment somewhat frequently. I don't care about being called an audiophile (in fact, it has a negative connotation to me), but I think there are a lot of different types of people drawn to this hobby, from engineering types to let's get a buzz on and listen to some tunes.
I've enjoyed the equipment I've owned over the years, but my personal priority at this stage of my life is discovering new to me music. I do take pride in the systems I've put together and enjoy the gear head aspect, but I'm not driven to acquire better and better gear at this point in my life. But, that's what makes all of this so interesting, no? Each of us is different, with different priorities.

You raised the rhetorical question in this thread why the enjoyment of music is elevated over buying/swapping out gear? You then suggested that the usual answer-- that the equipment is simply a vehicle to access and enjoy the music was, if not a token response, one that didn't fully reflect all the reasons people engage in this hobby.  
 I agree with that, but I also think it becomes very personal-- starting with  what you were exposed to musically (and gear wise) at what point in time, to whether you can play an instrument to whether you can solder or build equipment. All of those are factors and each of us differ in our backgrounds, knowledge and understanding as much as we do our musical taste or preference.

My "quest" has been to get outside of my comfort zone, musically, to avoid the audiophile traps and to better understand the musical experience. Many people of that ilk spend a fair amount of time listening to live music. Or get into the mystical aspects, which starts to make my brain overheat.
 There's been a lot written about music and the brain, emotional responses and the science of music. All of it is fascinating to me, as are archival recordings, and the techniques used to retrieve and preserve those. I guess the most we can expect from each other is to learn something, no? And perhaps to have a good laugh, a glass of wine (or whatever) and enjoy it while we can. 
I also think it is good to question one's own assumptions occasionally. I go through mid-life crises every 5 years or so and wind up reassessing things. Perhaps I'm just in a mood. Sorry for the lengthy response. 
Bill hart