Is Modern Jazz an Oxymoron?

I am a huge jazz fan and 90% of my listening time is listening to instrumental jazz artists from the classic jazz era of 1950's to 1970's. Excluding jazz singers and a few more recent jazz artist who play classic jazz style I can't stand modern jazz.

My question to jazz fans is if it is my limitation or is this a common thing amongst classic jazz fans? Or did you finally come around and learned to appreciate modern jazz? If so which artists?
128x1281extreme

This is the first time I ever heard Muriel Grossman, and naturally I am comparing her to "Trane".

I saw "Trane" at a nightclub that didn't even have a stage for the performers. A space in the middle of the floor was allocated for them to play in. We, my girlfriend, another couple, and a professional drummer (it seems every professional musician in town was there) had a table next to the space where the musicians were playing, (that's so much more intimate than an auditorium)

When I closed my eyes and listened to Trane, he was right in my ear. His sound is printed on my mind like no other; he was playing the soprano sax at this performance, and Muriel also plays the soprano sax.

The point I want to make is that my intimate connection with Trane enables me to make a comparison like few others. The differences (sound and presentation) between the two are concurrent with their physical appearances. If you listen intently, you will hear where I'm coming from; her sound while similar to Trane, has a beautiful femininity, his sound has a strong masculinity.

I believe Muriel will stand the test of time and create great works over many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nxpGUNs6Mo
"Is modern jazz an oxymoron?"

No, but smooth jazz is a misnomer. It's neither smooth, nor jazz.
Orpheus, I cannot overstate my jealousy about seeing Coltrane live. What you say about Muriel Grossman resonates with me. I was very happy to have found her recently, and she makes me excited for the state of things, jazz wise.  And yeah, the Brahja is wild - came on my radar because of Sam Shilabi's involvement (I'm in Montreal and he was in a ton of bands around here over the years. Killer oud player.)