Name a few albums which helped determine your musical tastes

How about a short list of albums that shaped your listening from early on in your life?

Not just albums that became favorites (though they could be now). Let's call them historical turning points for you that shaped you as a listener, now.

Me:
  • Quadrophenia or Who's Next
  • Sgt Peppers Beatles
  • Floyd, Wish you were here
  • Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick
  • Metheny, Offramp
  • Glenn Gould, Goldberg variations
  • Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark
GO!
128x128hilde45
Shaped me? Never cared for Porters until I tasted Winthrop's Bull's Tooth Porter. Something in it said, "THIS is what they're tying to do!" From then on I was able to appreciate porters, or at least some of them at any rate. In that sense I guess you could say Winthrop's Bull's Tooth Porter shaped me. 

With music its hard to think of a single record that has done that for me. Nothing in Smells Like Teen Spirit turned me on to anything else on that album, let alone any of the other junk of that genre. Couldn't stand Kansas, which was a cheap knockoff of Foreigner. Or maybe it was the other way around. Same difference. They were all just trying to be the next Journey, or Boston, anyway. 

In fact its almost exactly the opposite. There's any number of albums that I was luke warm to when they were new and then over time my appreciation has only grown. A standout in that category, Bellafonte at Carnegie Hall. Just a superb record, and recording, and performance, with all kinds of deeply human archetypal themes (that would be impossible to perform today!) and my appreciation has only grown over the years. But it hasn't shaped me. Hasn't made me want to buy more music like that. Not even more Bellafonte! The others I have just don't do it for me.  

Good music is for me very much like a good book or a good movie. When its good like Fido I enjoy it. Doesn't shape me into chasing zombie movies. Once again it seems I stand alone. Oh well. 

But if instead of shaped me you mean albums I really liked a whole lot, which seems to be the way people are taking it, well then we can talk.
MC, you can do what you will with the question.
By "shaped" or "pivot" I mean those albums which turned me on to music, and also to those bands. E.g. Beatles -- lead to a love of the Beatles, of course, but to rock more generally and to the less straight ahead (psychedelic-style of openness) which made my tastes in Pink Floyd, Fripp, Eno, etc. later on. Or, Joni, which opened me toward more female vocals; or Tull, Simon/Garfunkel which created a taste for folk. Etc.
Radiohead - Kid A
Bjork - Post
Beck- Odelay
Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane over the Sea
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup

Cavalli, Ercole Amante (Corboz, cond.)

Mozart, Cosi fan tutte (K. Boehm)

Wagner, Gotterdammerung (Boehm, Bayreuth) 

Beetles, Sgt. Peppers

Hendrix, Axis Bold as Love

J. Airplane, After Bathing at Baxters

Shostakovich, Quartets (Borodin Q.)

Gould, Goldberg Variations (studio version, Sony)

in the beginning, these spring to mind

Rolling Stones, 1st and all till Goat's head soup
Beatles Rubber Soul on (too simpy up till then)
Moody Blues, original band, Mike Pinder, piano based blues, before Justin Hayword
Animals, Awesome music and Eric Burdon's voice
Kinks, great stuff
Zombies, oh yeah
Dylan, hated at first, finally listened, amazing songwriter
Donovan, still terrific live
Simon and Garfunkel. Mad for years when they broke up.
Ian and Silvia, irresistable vocal talent
Everly Bros, irresistable vocal talent and some great lyrics
Doors, attitude
Janis Joplin, attitude
Jose Feliciano
Van Morrison
Fontella Bass, voice, songs, horns
Otis
The Mamas and the Papas