Great Experience with Feickert Protractor

After years of using other setup tools, I finally broke down and bought the Dr. Feickert Protractor.  I couldn't be happier. 

I highly recommend this unit for great design, construction, ease of use, and precision of setup.  I'm at the point in this hobby where I buy stuff and am not afraid to find that something makes no difference or the difference it makes is not to my liking.  The Feickert did not change the overall sonic character of my table/cart.  What it clearly did do was make imaging and soundstage more apparent (stand out) and it sounds like more information is coming through because I can hear more decay and faint sounds than before. 

If anyone is within driving distance of Chicagoland, I'd be happy to lend it out so others could benefit.  

Before the Feickert I was using Mobile Fidelity's Geo Disc and I had to sight the pivot point with an alignment bar on the Geo Disc.  I got pretty close (assuming the Feickert is more accurate), as I was within 2mm.  I'll rest assured knowing that I'm running things closer to perfect for sound quality and wear. 
128x128jbhiller
I find that with magnification and strong lighting

Yes that is a critical aspect so either one Feickert or Smartractor can take advantage of it

I also tend to avoid cartridges that are way out of line in that respect. 

Me too, it is so common though

If you vision is not good it's the only "problem" with Dr. Feickert protractor.

You are getting close buddy, hope God gives you some more years but trust me it is life changing when you get there

Sorry guys I'm in the middle of an existencial crisis

Joking aside $400 difference tells me to go with the Feickert protractor

Seems that the Smartractor have a mirror which makes cantilever alignment easier?
I've had the Feickert protractor (newer version) and now use the SmarTractor.  The results that I have gotten using the Uni-Din alignment (Acoustical Systems' own alignment) has been exceptional. It has a Vernier scale for measuring P2S, so I would also say that it is more accurate that the Feickert in that respect.  The mirrored surface also does make for easier alignment than the Feickert. I've been using the Uni-DIn with a Kuzma 4P which was designed with the Baerwald geometry.  

The Feickert on flea bay listed for almost half the price from China is a knockoff right?