Mono vinyl, how do you know if really single channel mono or if stereo recorded to mono

I'm exploring the possibility of getting a mono cartridge. 

Please, I am not trying to start a debate about whether or not that is a good idea. I simply have a question about monophonic records.

How can you tell which records are truly mono and which are actually stereo with 2 identical channels to simulate mono?

I know that for all mono records before stereo there was only one channel cut laterally into the record .  When stereo came out some so called mono recordings were actually 2 channels just like a stereo record with both horizontal and vertical information but  L and R were the same so ended up as mono. I also know that a "true mono" cartridge only has output from the horizontal motion and that the stylus size is different than a stereo stylus, which means according to many aficionados of mono recordings,  in an ideal world you would want a cartridge optimized for mono to play true mono records

again, I do not want to debate the pros and cons of this, just want the facts about the records. If you want to debate something else please start another thread

thanks

herman
I think it was directed at me.
please excuse my redundancy and awkward enthusiasm for mono.  
I am finding Mono LP’s is a messy world, and information is often missing.

amen

I suggest/hope you research and find a Mono Cartridge BODY with interchangeable/optional Stylus,

good idea... does that exist?
I apologize for the title of the thread, it should not say "stereo recorded to mono." that makes no sense... I was thinking about mono recorded as 2 equal channels on a stereo record... so it should be the other way around.. I was interested in mono recorded with a stereo cutting head

so again, I apologize for causing any confusion.
@herman Grace F14 LC-OFC MONO is one of the best mono MM I have ever heard, many original styli from Grace or new from SoundSmith
in case anyone is still paying attention , I decided there is only one way to satisfy my curiosity and that is to get a real mono cartridge. Consensus of the online reviews is a Miyajima Zero is one of the best so ordered one. true mono with only lateral motion. I've also been cleaning my record collection and didn't realize I have a lot of classic jazz records (late 50's and 60's) that are mono as well as a fair number of older classical. Ordered the Dylan and Coltrane mono boxes too.. OH BOY another thing to collect !!!