Cat damaged speaker, Help

I posted this on the Asylum, but wanted to get as many opinions as possible.

Our cat cut a slice that looks like a number "7" into the rubber surround of one of my speakers. The woofer is a 6.8" Scanspeak driver which I know is expensive to replace. The speaker seems to sound ok but the cut is bothering me. Is there any kind of glue I can use to repair it without doing more damage to the speaker, or should I just leave it alone? Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
128x128stereo5
Adam18- I'm a dog lover (cats too... well maybe cat liker would be more accurate). I know that people commit unspeakable acts of brutality against their pets, (and/or their children, spouses, entire races), etc. I applaud your work w animal rescue. There was no question in my mind that those comments were, in fact, meant to be "humorous". I don't think anyone meant to push your hot button, but I also know that it's very easy to misinterpret "intent" via email, esp. given your experiences. I have a very black/cynical sense of humor but try to temper it a bit w a wink ;~). If you ever get to New England, look me up; I'll spring for a fine Shiraz and we'll listen to a few tunes.
Okay Swampwalker.......... All is cool. Thanks for understanding. And to all my Audiogon pals, let's leave this topic alone, and ya'll have a great weekend. Happy listening.
HEY, "wolf"- Look up a Vet on this declawing locator site: (http://www.localvets.com/services/declawing/) Ask them to educate you! I found twelve, in my neighborhoo, that are presently declawing cats.
Bob, I started to send you a private email but decided to go ahead and post this here for everyone. The best repair is one that will be permanent without adding mass to your cone. Much mass will change your qms. Although I doubt this minimal mass would be audible. Next, your repair needs to stay flexible so that the repair doesn't break during use.
I saw 4 repair idea's sorry if I missed one.
Silicone, tube repair, Cyanoacrylate adhesive and my mixture with a fabric patch.
Honestly they will all probably work. I don't know how Super glue type glues (Cyanoacrylate) will hold the tear in a moving surround, but his is the least mass. If it will work for sure, it is a good solution. The next lowest in mass is my fix. The idea is create a strong flexible glue. When you open paint that isn't mixed a clear fluid rises to the top, this is pure latex, Mixing this with Elmers Glue all gives you a fairly strong, but very plyable glue material. Fabric, gives the strength and backing to allow you to move the surround from the front and make the tear look as seemless as possible.
The silicone is heavier, but if it will hold without pealing off, it will work also. I would recommend you put it on from the rear as thin as possible.
The last is the innertube patch, It will be very strong, stick well and work, but will add the most mass to the cone. To do the best job, you will need to pull the woofer. If you are tying not to pull the woofer. I'd try the Super glue idea, by adding it to the torn edge only with a tooth pick, trying not to get any on the surround(you will see it)... and it won't come off.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
Tim
Timlub- Adding paint and fabric to a surround, will both stiffen and add weight to it, changing the Thiel/Small parameters. It's easy to, "fix" a speaker, so it continues to make sounds. Reconing is another option, but the vast majority of reconers, use aftermarket parts(ie: Waldom was the major supplier for decades), that DO NOT come close to OEM. To repair a speaker, and NOT change it's original sound/parameters, is a bit more involved.