What are your experiences with upgrading power cords on KEF LS50 wireless?

Hello ,
I’ll soon be investing in a pair of the new KEF LS50 wireless II speakers and I’m curious what experiences people have had regarding upgrading the power cables on the original wireless model or the new ones.  I haven’t had much luck finding info on this topic looking through past posts (maybe one thread three years ago) so I’m curious what owners may be able to share on this subject now.  I appreciate any information you care to share. Thanks.
indyvw

Oldhvymec, I know you’re Chuck’s buddy so I don’t expect an unbiased view on what transpired between us yesterday. Chuck’s entire modus operandi is to insult other members on this forum in a poor attempt to inflate his own ego which then provides reaffirmation, at least in his mind, that he is the wisest or most experienced or most dedicated audiophile of all. It’s pathetic and destructive and that’s why I sent the “gift” back to him.  Enough is enough. But the most important thing I want to point out is that, just like him, you also missed the point of my original post. You guys both focused on a broader concept of power cables affecting sound and that’s not what I’m concerned with at all. I’m certainly open to the idea that changing power cords will impact the sound so I’m specifically interested in what other LS50 wireless owners have experienced when they have done so. I’m curious what specific power cables they have tried and how they thought the aftermarket cables compared to the stock cords.  Because many owners will use these specific speakers as a stand-alone, sort of all-in-one solution rather than a piece of a multi component system it offers the fairly rare opportunity to hear feedback from users that, aside from the listening environment, potentially have the exact same set up as you would have. Yes, I know many owners will utilize a separate DAC and that will certainly change the sound from stock but that’s a different discussion for another time. As a stand-alone the LS50 wireless will have the same DAC, the same amps, the same speakers, etcetera from one pair to the next. That’s a rare opportunity for comparison in this hobby that is unique to streaming based active speakers in general.  That’s why I want to hear from other LS50 wireless owners rather than have a general discussion about whether power cables affect sound.  I thought that concept would seem obvious but maybe I should have been more articulate in my original post. 

jetter, I appreciate that you get where I was coming from. 

seanheis1, a DAC addition is a possibility and I’m certain it would have a significant affect on the sound of the speakers. That would be a whole other topic for sure.

douglas_shroeder, I get where you are coming from and you make a good point. I still would like to hear from members that have hands on experience with the LS50 wireless specifically but I’ll have to take into account what you mention. 

@indyvw
You should post your question over on this site. You will get more answers than some of the arrogant ones that post here! 
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=cables
I wondered the same thing whenI had my LS50W’s and my dynaudio xeo’s...

I never got around to it but I’ve got to think that upgrading the powercords on the kefs will make a nice improvement.  As to what Douglas was saying, that makes total sense.  However, “all” of the cords for the LS50W 2 are the 2 power cords.

I say upgrade them right out of the gate.  You’re lucking out with the fact that by upgrading 2 power cords, you’r upgrading powercords for the dac, preamp, and multiple amllifiers.  With that in mind, it should make a nice change!

I’d take into consideration the lengths, the gauge, the flexibility of the cord (pangea ac 9 would be out,for example) and the sound signature.

I really like Cullen Crossover series because they are very open and detailed sounding.  The crossover series is a nice thin gauge too (12 gauge?) so its not hugely unwieldy.  The wire is a bit stiff though but once you have it in place, nk big deal.  Power cords do sound harsh for a few days after you bend them all up though, so be prepared for that.  Analysis plus power ovals for $130 are a great option as well.

If I were you, I’d already have my 2 upgraded power cords all ready even before you get the speakers.  Use the upgraded cords right out of the gate and burn the powercords in as you are burning the speakers in.  The first genLS50W sounded much better after 3-4 days of continual use.  I left mine on overnight at low volumes playing classical music.  I’ve had experience with 4 pairs and they were all a bit aggressive right out of the box.

Upgraded powercords, some nice non resonant stands at the right height (usually 28”-32” for LS50’s) and a REL T7i (Or 2 or more) and you’re in business!

I’d also upgrade your outlets.  Cullen Cables has pass and seymours for $10 or Albert Porter (check out his rig here on audiogon!) has cyro’d medical grade outlets for $50.  Those are called porter ports.  They’re worth every penny!

Anyhow, enjoy your new LS50’s!  They are just awesome little speakers and the new metas are supposed to be better so you Sir, are in for a treat!
Oh, and to clarify, the original LS50W’s also used a class a/b amp on the tweeters.  The new meta version puts out more power to the tweeter yhan the previous version.  I can’t remember the specs off the top of my head.  I think the originals were 50 class a/b watts to the tweeter, 200 class d watts to the midbass.  The new metas are 100 and 200, I believe.

I’ve also heard that the app for the metas is waaaay better, which wasmy complaint with the originals.  We had to really work to get my brothers internet running at 5ghz (New router, changed settings, etc) so that he didn’t have dropouts.  His LS50W’s ran much smoother hardwired and on a 5ghz speed.

I suppose an upgraded ethernet cord might be nice as well.

The cool thing about LA50W’s is that whenyou get the urge to tweak something, it’s usually the room or subs, 2 important areas often overlooked by many people while the are upgrading pre amps, amps and dacs...

Oh, and mine did sound better using an external dac as well.  Just an audioquest dragonfly (red) coming out of my laptop sounded smoother than just using the app.

The app on the Metas is supposed to be improved so I woud not go down that route of external dac as well.  Focus on room treatments and subs and the payoff will be larger.

Every single personwho has heard my friends LS50W’s and 1 T9i were pretty impressed!

indyvw OP
24 posts11-23-2020 5:32am

Oldhvymec, I know you’re Chuck’s buddy so I don’t expect an unbiased view on what transpired between us yesterday.

jetter
2,022 posts11-23-2020 3:09am
Were you insulted? I think not.
Hate to disagree with you, but it’s pretty clear that he was, and to some of us the reason why.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It’s very simple, the same CRAP happened to me, I just laughed it off. I explained my position, CLEARLY. I just don’t get upset UNLESS someone calls names, or calls folks liars. I’ll abide NIETHER..

Behind the ol keyboard though.

My point was you wanted to know about your power cord, YOU didn’t need the BS. I don’t have to take a side. I simply would have RETURNED the gift... I lost my temper just recent, me and an AG member went at it a bit.. I sure wasn’t the better person for it..
Screwed up the thread.. you know the drill.. Your back on track collecting DATA..

You’ll never hear from him again, just my observation.. No worries anyway.

I hear you OP, I got your point. The "why" I looked up some info from a guy, I KNOW, will give a pretty honest opinion on "Power Cords" for YOUR powered speakers.

BTW... Pretty cool speakers..

BUT be aware, this guy can REALLY GO OFF. I’ve seen him just ripp into a few.. The "power cords don’t matter" crowd get him pretty worked up, WHY? Name calling and saying he couldn’t hear what he clearly could.. along with a host of others...

I’ve NEVER met a Man or a Woman, I didn’t like. EVER.. Just some more than others. MC is like HOT coffee, just a little at a time, you’ll be fine. A little cream and sugar don’t hurt either.

I take it all back.. NO YOKO ONO..:-) well not the singin’ anyways, I’m sure she’s just fine. :-)

Power Cords do matter with your powered speakers.. They have a factory upgrade also.. from what I read.

Most of all enjoy them, pretty respected little speakers..

https://audiobacon.net/2019/03/22/15-audiophile-power-cables-hear-for-yourself/

With great regard, and respect to ALL..