Why is black so popular for components?

A current post about the looks of gear got me thinking. How did black become the most popular color for audiophile gear? I can see it being popular for home theater where the gear might be at the front of a room where you want it as dark as possible but black was the color of choice well before home theater. Maybe it is as simple as people just like it but if that were the case I would think it would also be the most popular in other consumer items such as motor vehicles.  I remember when I wasn’t always fortunate to have a dedicated stereo room and my wife would ask me why I purchased black equipment because she thought it was ugly and I agreed with her but usually, I had no choice.  For manufacturers offering additional colors may be costlier but I am willing to pay for it. Fortunately , some companies that I like offer silver usually in the face plates which works for me. Odyssey Audio has numerous color options available for their faceplates for a nominal fee but as far as I know they are an exception.  A lot of speaker manufacturers offer different colors which is great, especially if you have to place them in a communal space like a living room.  So in summary why did black become the color for stereo gear ? How many of you would prefer color options?

128x128lwin
I don't see how  black would be any cheaper to mfg.  Clear, black, or any color of dye for that matter cost the exact same.  Also if you are doing a large amount with a plating house there is definitely a discount. 
I prefer silver.  Most of my system is silver.  Rack, speaker stands, amp, dac...  

I like MBL’s color options.  Gloss Black or Gloss White with either silver or gold lettering.  Seems to open up many different good looking options.  I’d probably want 3 or 4 mbl systems just to cover all my bases.

And yes, Black Components Matter!
I like the marantz champagne finish, although seemingly only avail in the UK. They rather fancy the silver front fascias on the other side of the pond for some reason or other. In my set up, I like to mix and match, some black, some silver, along with wood side panels when available. Black speakers, not my cup of tea. I like walnut or rosewood finishes, preferably real wood veneers. 
Black

disappears in low lighting, black doesn't visually draw your brain left or right unconsciously effecting perceived 'center' related to imaging. Matte surfaces reduce reflections, some equipment includes ability to dim panel lights,

I always buy monitors/tvs with black frames, so that programs with black bars are not 'within a silver frame', which avoids the awful practice of 'stretch' distorting images, oval basketballs, basketball players looking like football linemen, beautiful women looking fat.
Black is very popular because you can change stuff and wife will not notice as much.