CD Help

I'm having trouble with listening to my cd's at a reasonable vol. all of a sudden when i crank it up to about 11 o'clock everything just turns to MUSH! complete distortion, i don't have a dedicated cd player, i am using a cheap $200 sony dvd sacd etc which i bought at circuit city. Yes circuit city. I know, lets keep the comments to my problem. whcih that may be one. Anyway, i have a set of mirage OM-10's (4) for Ht use and a set of the Von Schweikert VR4 jr's that i use for 2 channel. Both speaker sets when i switch a-b are sounding distorted. Why the breakdown in sound. Damn this gets me. It really sounds like crap. HELP
case05
I can play my dvd's at 11 on the vol dial easily, even higher but it then tends to rock the house a bit. However as mentioned, when cd is on, i am runing the unit through analog inputs, everything just starts to get distorted at a moderate level. I have a nak DVD-10. forgot i had that, i'll hook that up this morning and see if theres a difference. i'll get back at ya, once done. thanks everyone. I don't really want to shell out $1000 or so for a nice cd player.
Agree w/ Warnerwh...and the basic issue unlikely to be the CD player but amp-speaker set up
Just a follow up. I bought a Audio Research LS-7 and also purchased a Rotel 1080 200 watt amp to go along with the Von Schweikert VR4 jrs, Well that seemed to help everything. Even the cd player is sounding good. Not great but its not crapping out when the volume is turned up. Next step is to upgrade the cd player. Thinking of Marantz Sa11s1 or the new Wadia, what is it the 301 or something like that. I think i might go with the marantz since it offers the sacd in two channel where as the Wadia is strictly a CD player with no SACD. Any thoughts. Really didn't want to spend that much on a CD, but any opinions would be appreciated on a cd player. There isn't too much here in tucson to audition.
SACD can sound great, at least certain discs "sound great," but that isn't always the case, I'm afraid. Worse, SACD prices are considerably higher AND the selection may leave you unimpressed. I'd check this out before investing in the format.