Audio Research preamps EXCESSIVE OPERATING COSTS

Soooo disappointing.
So you want to use in home theatre mode.  Get ready to pay up to operate.   The tubes stay on and when family uses system 10 plus hrs a day for tv and videos, the tubes burn away.  Most of the 8 tubes have life of 4000 hrs and cost $150 per tube to replace.  Over 5 years operating costs could approach $5000 or more.  And this excludes wasteful elec costs of $100 to $200 per year for bulbs running without being used.   Sooooo disappointing.

I called audio research and they confirmed all this.  Further, they lacked any sensitivity to theses issues.  Seemed kinda arrogant.  

Sooooo disappointing.
emergingsoul
So if I'm reading this correctly the OP who doesnt listen to music purchased an ARC Ref6-SE to watch tv with or at least leave on all day long so his family can use it while watching tv?

The OP clearly has more money than brains...
What a waste of of high end component...
Idea is to use arc stereo preamp in a home theatre system where main speakers can be used in a stereo environment absent interference from an avr.

Well then a lesser model like the LS26, or 27 which only uses 2 tubes instead of 6 could be an option.
I know what your doing I've done it before with my LS26 for movie nights but I would never run the thing all day long for the wife and kids to watch TV with.. However if it is a must then YOU must change preamps plain and simple. There are some out that don't even need to be turned on which will just pass through a signal..
Do some research :)
We could do an exchange if you like.. The tubes on my LS26 are not costly to replace :) It sounds wonder full as well.
Problem here is that tube preamps which keep the tubes off while watching tv are not very good.  Bartlett looked promising, about $9k, but it didn’t seem to be of same level as the arc 6se preamp.

I have since found that replacing tubes of 6se are about $300 (1 to 2 yrs) and exp for electricity is about $60-80 annually assuming a watt level of 130 while on.  It is truly a pain that a very sophisticated industry has not done a very good job integrating ht with stereo preamps.  McIntosh efforts are very troubling, their system when wired as they want it will cause your avr to turn off so you can’t watch a muted active tv screen like a sporting event or have it displaying stuff during social events.

I want exceptional sound when I listen to stereo, and the hifi industry does not make it easy to get there!!  Just horrifying.