Used McIntosh Amp or better new options out there? - Amplifier or Integrated

A little about me, I am in the process of building my next step up 2-channel system for a listening room that is 17’x13’x12’. Current gear: LS50 and Paradigm Studio 20 v5 + Rotel RA-12 + SB2000 
For me new speakers I’m thinking in the $3-4k price range floor standing speakers. Some of the speakers I’m considering: Dynaudio Evoke 50, KEF R7, Focal Aria 936, Salk Song3 tower and my stretch budget option is the 805 D3s. 
I mostly listen to Jazz, orchestra/instrumental, Pop, some trance/electronic and Classic rock. I’m a fan of a clean but less harsh highs, non shouty mids and tight controlled bass. 

Now back to the topic at hand. I came across a used MC152 at a local high end audio store. The sales guy indicated this was originally a demo amp from their store that one of their regulars bought and recently traded it in for a large Mac amp. He indicated its from 2017, but no way for me to know for sure (not sure if the serial number will let me look it up?). I auditioned this amp on speakers they had in store and I really liked the sound it produced on my usual music tracks. However the left VU meter needle on this amp was not working. Apart from that looked in mint condition, not scratches, no marks on the screws that would indicate tampering. The dealer said he’ll get it serviced from a local third party McIntosh repair shop and can then sell it to me once fixed and I’m satisfied with its condition. They are asking $2.8k for this amp, which is what attracted me to it given how expensive they are normally. 

Now my question is, should I bother taking the plunge? Now that I found out the VU meter is broken, I’m a little turned off since someone is now going to open this thing up (probably for the first time). I’ve heard Macs are bullet proof and last for ever, but does anyone see any red flags here or anything I should look for?

Given the $3k ish price range, is there something else I could consider in this range (I prefer Class AB or Tube or Tube Hybrid). Is paying close to retail for a new MC152 from a dealer worth the extra money (warranty and less anxiety)?  This is the first time I’m buying in this price range, so I want to make sure. I’m open to both a good stereo power amp or an integrated as long as its a sizeable upgrade from my RA-12. If its only an amp, I intend to us the RA-12 as a preamp for now till I can budget for a good tube preamp (Rogue Audio perhaps) 

I ideally wanted to stay at about $6k for speaker + amp and was leaning towards one of the Dynaudio towers + a parasound Halo or Rotel RA-1592 / 1582 MkII type amp. I always dreamed of owning a McIntosh or Luxman but couldn’t stomach to full retail price on those beauties. Any help to reduce my anxiety or providing some suggestions would be much appreciated :) 

Thank you! 
sr20022002
@stereo5,I am speaking for myself and the 95% of former Mac owners who have moved on. Said for some vintage Luxman gear that was gifted to me in my early adulthood, Mac was the first piece of "expensive" gear I coveted and took the plunge with. I began with an old MC754 and then had the following in and out of my setup:
MC150
MC300
C42
MC501's
C2300
MC601's
MC2301's
All were visually stunning, and fortunately all sold for top dollar when I realized after nearly 15 years that the sound was good, but homogenized. My point is, my narrative is shared by many more than not. So do yourself a favor and audition as much as you are able before settling on Mac gear...or B&W for that matter. My opinion, and that is what this forum is for...I wish I had this intel many years ago,
@laaudionut,

I have probably had over 100 different pieces of equipment since 1970, especially since I worked in an audio store for 15+ years. I purchased my last 2 systems in 2017-2019. I chose the McIntosh because it sounds the way I always wanted my system to sound and I wonder what took me so long to take the plunge. As I am retired, I have no intentions of buying any more equipment. The only things I want at this point are better preamp jumper cables for my McIntosh MA6600 Integrated and a better tone arm cable for my Technics SL1200G. I will be speaking to Chris Van Haus @VH Audio and have him build the preamp jumpers first and late this year or early next year a better tonearm cable for me. Other than that, I am done and enjoying the music.
So I wanted to update everyone that I ended up taking the plunge for the used MC152 from my local dealer. They told me that they did troubleshooting with the McIntosh service center and it was just a ribbon cable that was unseated which caused the left meter needle to not get the signal. It was a simple fix. 
I inspected the unit again today and it was flawless, not a scratch or dent anywhere. Front glass in perfect condition, screws in perfect condition. I’m actually a little surprised how the previous person kept it dust free like that even on the inside from what I saw through the wents.

My dealer also let me bring in my LS50s to test the amp, we played on it for a 15-20min tried different volume levels, worked perfectly, both dials working. 

Came with the original box and packaging (screwed on to a piece of MDF and cardboard which is crazy). Haven’t unboxed it yet, need to buy a panamax or similar power strip before I plug it in. 

Curious if anyone knows if I can find the date of manufacture or any details on how old it is or what the warranty status is (i know it can’t be transferred but just curious). 

Thanks a lot to all the inputs here! Next task would be a preamp and speakers. Right now I plan to use my Rotel integrated as a preamp and my LS50s. 
@stereo5 As you can probably discern, I am not looking to be combative, far too many of those types trolling the waters. At the end of the day, most of us agree that our little esoteric hobby is purely subjective to the individual. If what you are listening to elicits a smile, toe tap, or a windmill style air guitar, you have found your own audio nirvana and no one should suggest otherwise. Continue to enjoy your retirement and the fruits of your sonic minded labor! Cheers!

@gdnrbob For some reason I’m unable to see messages from my profile. Not sure whats going on. But either I just posted an update above. I’m pretty excited for this first piece of serious gear I acquired :) ... thanks for all the help!