Musical system for under $2K?

My nephew stayed with us this past weekend, and was bitten by the "audio bug"...he now wants to put together an "affordable" music system for his appartment based around a CD player, an integrated amp, and a pair of monitor speakers. He listens mostly to classical and jazz, but also to rock from time to time. Any favorite combos? I'd prefer it if you limit your suggestions to systems that you own (or have owned) and that you have found to be musically accurate and satisfying over the long haul. His total budget, including stands, wire, and interconnects is just about $2000, and he is open to buying used if it helps him get more for his money. Thanks in advance for all your help. Deborah.
deborah1
I think the size of the room would be very important to know before suggesting a system I beleive that to be the most important factor in order to put together a system of any price in a small room you can save on power and speaker alone
Sorry about that Jules. I called my nephew, and he said the room is *about* 16' x 14' x 8', and he plans to set the speakers up along the long wall. Thanks. Deborah.
Deborah, I just downsized from seperates to take a break and save some money, and have been very pleased with my NAD and PSB setup. I use the NAD 317 Integrated ($600 from Soundcity)/80 watts -- great history behind the NAD integrateds. I then use the NAD C540 CD Player ($400 from Soundcity)it's 24/96 capable -- I have read there have been problems with NAD CD players of old, but this unit performs flawlessly. The speakers are the PSB Stratus Bronze speakers ($800 from Soundcity). The integrated gets better with time and the CD player is decent for the money. The remote controls the CD player and integrated, so it makes for a very easy setup. Good luck.
Believe or not there is an amazing pair of pioneer speakers designed by the old designer at KEF that sell for $350 with a nice pair of stands at www.fidelisav.com worth a call. Allright the integrated is a Passion Audio Kit i11 36 watt EL34 based Tube amp, Take a look at www.mutine.com and review in the Canadian UHF magazine $1100 this amp blew away my Audio Refinement. also at www.fidelisav.com Put that together with the cambridge audio Cd $450 and some Analysis plus cables and you are done for a smudge over $2000.
Here's my bedroom system: Marantz CD65 mkII cd player; Creek 4240SE integrated amp; Alon Petites speakers; AudioQuest speaker wire and interconects. My advice is also to keep the first system simple with reliable components.