More power for moderate listening levels?

Hi,

I can't seem to find good information regarding the effect of relatively high powered amps on low to moderate listening levels. I have a low powered class A amp that sounds wonderful at moderate volumes but not surprisingly shows signs of strain when cranked up. I am contemplating an upgrade that would bring much more power to solve this problem. However, since I don't play music really loud that often I'm wondering if the upgrade is really all that necessary. It would be worth it if the reserve power of the new amplifier improved sound quality at all levels.     

Thanks for your help,

Brian
brianbiehs
Thanks for the responses. 
The assumption is that the lower powered amplifier drives the speakers just fine at moderate listening levels. My listening says yes.
At the SAME volume, will a higher powered amp improve the sound quality?
OP  That WAS your question (In your second post). I fail to see any progress towards an answer being made by yammerng about "it "

brianbiehs
 OP
6 posts
11-03-2020 10:51am

"...."At the SAME volume, will a higher powered amp improve the sound quality?"

Always nice to have extra power (headroom) on tap to handle the dynamics and the INT-250 @ 250wpc would certainly do the job, as Pass indicated. The INT-25 @ 25wpc, however, is Class A vs INT-250's Class A/B, and the sound quality at moderate power levels may be better on the smaller amp. The only way to find out is to A/B the two in your system.
There have been several threads of late on amps to drive Harbeths.  Short summary: there is no easy answer.  Take a look.  That being said, you would probably have been better off with the 30.8 for a bit more oomph.