Thinking about getting a R2R DAC

Dear community,

I currently have a chord qutest DAC. I like it a lot, very full sound, accurate detailed and exciting.  However, whenever I go back to vinyl (with a well-recorded nice pressing) I find the sound so much more satisfying.  There is a warmth, yes, but there is a presence, a 'there-ness' that I just don't get with the digital.  I'm wondering if an R2R DAC would get me closer to that?  my budget would be around the same as the qutest.  I was looking at the MHDT Orchid or the Border Patrol.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the Qutest.  I am thinking of putting it in the upstairs system to pair with the Node2i I have up there.  Any thoughts?  Will analog always just be a different animal than digital?

Currently in the main system I have a Sonore uRendu feeding the Qutest which is going to a LTA MZ2 going to a Pass XA 30.5

thanks!
adam8179
Thanks for this take. 
However, I have an R2R DAC (ML36) 20bit, 44.1kHz and an upsampling CDP (ML390S) hybrid, 24 bit, 352kHz.
(I hope I got that right :) 

So,... in short, I prefer the R2R item - by a small/tiny but important margin. 

Why?

Somehow R2R is sounding more natural/harmonically more complete.
Only referring to red-book CD reproduction. 
M. 🇿🇦 
I've been reading through all of the post on this subject. Thanks.

Like many I also have an R2R DAC, the Holo Spring Level 1, but also have at my disposal other DS DAC's. CD Player has an Analog Devices chip, and Burr Brown on HT processor. They all sound different for sure. As often as not everything else being equal (if possible) I prefer the rendering of the CDP with Analog Devices chip over the Spring DAC. 

The the big elephant in the room is, all music starts out as analog be it instruments or vocals and these analog signals have to be converted to digital. I know of no R2R analog to digital converters or have never heard of recording studios, or mastering studios using this technology.

The point is, even if using the subjectively best R2R DAC available, and that could be argued till the cows come home, no one will ever experience the full potential benefit of R2R DACs. From my perspective most musicians, recording engineers and others working in the industry consider audiophiles a bunch of nut cases anyway so its probably unlikely the demand for ADC with R2R capability will ever be designed and built.

Just something to consider in the equation.

Thanks
ML36 is what 25 years old? In 2005 that would have been considered old tech and not nearly as good as new stuff. Suddenly is is great again? No.

Both your DACs are good but you prefer one. Much different implementations. One thing that has changed in 25 years is you of course if you are the original owner.

Personal preference which is impacted by prior experience, your specific system and environment and yes age.

Never discount flavor of the day and the impact of suggestion either.
@audio2design 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. 

I'm the first owner of the ML39, vintage 1996, which I had upgraded to a ML390S in ~ 2002. 
As for the ML36, I'm the 2nd owner for all I can tell. 
And yes, both are some 25 years old - with one laser unit replacement for the ML390S, about 1 year ago. 

During mid to end 2000 I had A LOT of Systems auditioning going on (semi-professionally), and this across the board of high-end digital systems, culminating in some way-out Bösendorfer-Lyngdorf system. Actually too many to mention. 

All this did for me, was to set-up an analogue side system to my existing digital one, and repurches LPs I'd gotten rid of during end 1980. 

I mention all this for some perspective, as even listening to far more expensive and more sophisticated set-ups, I could not be convinced (by LISTENING) that this so considered 'new'(er) technology sounded any BETTER - different ok, but not better. 

The more resent listening to some full blown latest B&W802D3 diamond tweeter speakers and Esoteric gear failed to make any further 'upgrade' desire as well. 

All I keep hearing is more 'resolution' and less of any 'realness' - more artifice, for lack of a better word. 

That's when I came across that 'ancient' ML36 (R2R) so since it integrates easily into my existing system I decided to give it a go. 

It sounds the least artificial, though a good LP sounds 'easier' on my ears - still.
A question of more real harmonics/timber I'd say. 
In closing, by my personal experience, I'm this far unconvinced, that high-end digital has made the kind of progress that is generally banded about.
Been surching for close on 25 years and good analogue *still* has the edge for me. 

Enough said for now, 
M. 🇿🇦 
Recorded music isn't real, so something that plays perfectly (a DAC) may not be to your liking. Nothing wrong with some imperfections to simulate a more lively environment. Embrace it.

The music industry is embracing it. Lots of work being done on adding noise, distortion and other artifacts to music to make it more appealing.  I used to prefer studio recordings. Now I am into live recordings warts and all. I will often pick a YouTube live version over the perfect studio one. It's more emotional.