Negotiate good price

I went to a dealer last week and listen to some really sweet pieces.  I was ready to throw down some coin but am confused about the dealers approach.  He comes in the room and says how is everyhting.  I say it is amazing this is just the sound I am looking for.  He says okay and leaves.  Comes back in 10 minutes and I am ready for hardball.  I sit back with my hands above my head in an inviting posture and say- can you beat prices that I see on Audiogon?  He says he will be right back- great i think he knows- I know my stuff.  Another guy comes in and says he needs to use the room for a client.  I say where is the other guy and he says he's on the phone.  So I wait in the lobby for 20 minutes and don't see anyone. I left my name on a paper and put it on the desk and ask him to call me with the best he can do on the system because I can buy some of it on AUdiomart.  I asked my wife and she thinks that's too hardball- maybe i should have lied and said I'm shopping around for best price.
Any info on how to speed pitch softballs?   
tubebuffer
You’re confused by the dealer’s approach?  Okay, I’m confused by your confrontational approach. Rather than throwing out the name of a site that sells used equipment, simply ask if there if there would be any discount if buying the entire system or with cash. Unless you’re a long time repeat customer, or you’re buying a lot of equipment at one time, OR you’re offering a way to not cost the dealer money through credit card use - you tell me why you should get a discount. It has to be a win - win situation. It doesn’t do anyone any good if the dealer gives smoking hot deals to everyone and goes out of business because they can't make enough money to stay open.
Oh yes, the Maggie.  Big and flat like my first wife, except with big sweet voice, and clear purpose.  I just like all of the kind advice and positive feedback.  This the most positive group of people I’ve ever met in a audio forum.  I pay full price for the Maggie and got a great deal on a powerful demo amplifier NAD and some good cable to rig it all together.
i very satisfied with the system and the  speaker mate well with my old B&W subwoofer.  The only thing now is my wife complain that the speaker block and she can’t watch me bench press while she run on the treadmill. I now looking to staple them up on side walls to get out of the way.  
Just lay the Maggies on their sides so she can see you, however she might suggest you put them back up straight sooner than you think.
Hilarious @noble100.

Why would someone say "do you match Audiogon prices?". That is a ridiculous question. Some dealers sell on Audiogon. You can ask a general question after speaking about a component or two and get tactfully determine if they discount. 

After they get to know you and like you, they'll tell you anything from no discounts to 15% (with some minor variation based on the manufacturer) in my experience with mid to high end stores. If they carry used gear, they probably are very aware and competitive with Audiogon in that area.

After all is said and done, you can make up your mind where the best value lies, not the cheapest price. Sometimes cheapest is best, but not usually. I have bought new, used from dealers, and only once from a very highly regarded private seller a box with no moving parts or switches (a phono stage). I like peace of mind, and in the instances of issues arising after the purchase, it is good to be able to go back to the person who sold it to you for help.  

At the end of the day, you want the best value, and I consider asking a question like that kind of obnoxious. That being said the salesman could have spent another 5-10 minutes sizing up your seriousness and he could have gotten specific with you and see if he scared you off, not the reverse.