Mixing & Matching Components

Good Day,

I was just reading another thread and it got me to thinking about mixing & matching of different brands of audio equipment (components). The thread quote was about adding a piece of equipment that adjusts gain across components, which evidently does good things for we listeners. That was just the seed for my thinking and not the point of this post.

I own pretty much an entire McIntosh system (aside from speakers, Roon Nucleus, cabling and the like). I really love my system on so many levels, but I frequently think that since I am building out the system using all McIntosh components I have the comfort of knowing that all the components are designed to work together creating that synergy of sound that we all strive for. I know that the phono preamp is developed to integrate seamlessly with the turntable, for example. You get the point. For me, it is just easier. That is just me. I don’t think I am exaggerating when I say that the number of [insert your favorite noun here: variables, features, knobs, switches, options, build-outs, tubes, transistors, capacitors, materials...] in audio components can be daunting at times.

Many of you could say the same for the systems you put together. To many names to mention here. I have a friend who is sold on Gryphon components, for example. I completely understand and appreciate those of you that enjoy building out your systems with a variety of components as you work toward the sound that is most pleasing to you. That is one of the fun parts of this hobby. I recognize that and enjoy hearing what is working for you.

I will also say that I am blessed to have a really good hi-end audio dealer in town that helps tremendously with my questions and my ignorance. I’ve learned to totally trust him/them. That also makes it easier on me.

No question, just a thought.

As an added bonus, I picked up Suzanne Vega’s double live LP "An Evening of New York Songs and Stories". Excellent performance and sound. I highly recommend it. Only one song sits on Tidal, on my last check. Also purchased the Bill Evans RSD release of the lost recordings from Germany. Wow - Beautiful Music!!!

For you New York Times readers/subscribers, there is a great article this morning about Keith Jarrett. I didn't know that he had two strokes that left him partially paralyzed on one side. His live solo piano recordings still move me to no end. "Think of your ears as your eyes."

Enjoy Everybody
pgaulke60
The idea is to match components that sound good together and have what we call "synergy". Buying the same brand is not the same thing. We mix and match components to get the best results. If for example your loudspeakers are lean sounding, we want to add components that make the sound richer. We buy a warm phono cartridge, CD player, amp, pre-amp, cables, etc. The down side is that you need to know what direction to go in and what component will take you in that direction. That my friend takes experience and experience is what you get when you don't get what you want, lol. This is hard for someone with less exposure to accomplish, so the best question is to state where you are and what direction you would like to go, then we can help.  
The OP isn't looking to make changes, just sharing his thoughts today. It would be easier if I could go with one brand throughout no doubt. But I just can't. There are too many brands and *flavors* to experience out there. I would always be thinking what would happen if I exchanged this piece with that one.Neither way is wrong:-)
@jtcf 
@russ69 

Thanks to you both.  Appreciate your thinking and perspectives.  I must admit that I almost have a fear that if I start trying other flavors out there, I may like them!  I retired in January and I’m moving into the “fixed income” purchasing mode. After two more pieces of McIntosh, of course.