Amp repair cost — is this right?

I recently sent my Musical Fidelity a308cr power amp off to be recapped. This amp is somewhere around 16-18 years old and one of the power caps failed. I contacted Musical Fidelity and sent it to a repair shop they recommended. Today I received an estimate to replace 18 caps, 8 of which are large power caps, resolder the boards, and re-bias the transistors. Basically a full overhaul. The quote I received, including return shipping (prob around $100) Is over $1,300 which possibly exceeds the value of the amp. That doesn’t include the $115 it cost me to ship it out. Having never had an overhaul done on a power amp like this, I’m wondering if anyone with experience can tell me if this sounds right. I guess I was expecting something more like $600-$800 but I don’t know why since I really don’t have a frame of reference. Perhaps it was the assumption it might be 4 hours labor (say $400) plus max $200 for caps. Is $1,300+ on track? Either way I’m going to be out the shipping cost plus a $160 fee paid for the estimate.
jnehma1
As per @jafant and @whart, +1 for Bill Thalmann at Music Technology. He's low-key and knowledgeable, and did a fine job fixing my Pass INT-60. But be aware that he's extremely busy and backed-up -- my repair took two months. Can't comment on price as mine was a warranty job.
My 2 cents...

Even if the cost is $500, or so, above other quotes...

You mentioned that they use higher quality parts (than the originals) and if they do quality work you should be good to go for another 20 years.

This said (per your previous postings) you have rarely used the unit for years and years and years.

It would be a great amp to experiment with the new inexpensive Magnapan planers (or any other speaker requiring loads of power), but if you have no use for it why bother?

DeKay
Lots of opinions here, some good-some not so good. I know you know that your amp is worth more fixed vs. not fixed. I’m a guy who can’t stand to have something I own stay broken, but that’s me-not you. As an insider, I’m able to access the Audiogon Bluebook. It says that your MF 308CR is worth between $1100 and $1300. I would certainly get a second opinion, or consider repairing it and then selling it prior to upgrade. Much depends on how happy you are with the amp, and how a $1300+ repair fits into your budget.
To me it is not about the actual cost but the cost down the line. Sure you can get it sent back. That will probably cost something. You can then factor in the frustration of dealing with the same questions over and over again. In the end you may save a couple hundred dollars but is it worth it? You got a certified professional to guarantee their work. You got the extra time and frustration of no amp. You probably could never equal what you will get back for $1300. If you think you can then so be it but $1300 is a pretty low bar for a quality amp. If it were me, I would just get it done and be happy to be listening again. 
I just had two vintage Electron Kinetics Eagle 400 mono blocks recapped by the firm that Pass Labs recommended, Music Technology https://www.musictechnology.com. Each amp was about a grand to bring up to snuff. Plus shipping. Definitely have pros do the work. You get what you pay for.

My best, Harry Max