Help with TT ideas for my first TT

Hi All,

I have been reading alot of reviews and searching around for my first TT.  ALot of recent recordings that i want are basically only coming out on vinyl or super crappy mp3.  I have an Aaron integrated amp, with some custom built SB Acoustic Monitors (Bromo).

I am looking at the marketplace in the 1 - 1.5k range and see I can find alot of different solutions and wanted to get peoples thoughts:

Marantz tt-15 - Seems like  bargain at 1500, but difficult to setup
Clearaudio Concept - good reviews, bumps against the magnetic arm (Cement floor at my place)
Music Hall MMF 7.3 - Seems like a great solution
VPI Cliff Wood
Pro-ject X1 or X2 - Have read some reports of motor noise
Rega Planar 2 or 3 - Seems to be they are what they are

With such a crowded field how do people choose?  I live in Central Mass, and dont have alot of options in terms of auditions so would love to get peoples thoughts. 
kro77
This is my second system so I am comparing to my
main which does this better and why I am looking for it. But to you your point it could be sone thing different so will compare some cds between the two to get a better baseline. Initially there was some minor brightness but that was resolved with the phono cable change.

with respect to used cartridges, why is a reasonable life span of a cart, 1000 hours? More or Less?  Also what are signs of a cart is worn out, or what should I listen for?

You guys have been great as a resource appreciate it.
Many cartridges have a lifespan of at least 1,000 hours. That said, I know some have gone beyond 1,000 without issue. Keeping the needle clean is probably as important as overall lifespan hours. I believe Clearaudio states their lifespan to be 2,000 hours, so it may be hard to go wrong with that purchase if it is otherwise in good shape.
The really bad pops that make it through the music are caused by a deep scratch usually caused by miss handling, It is very rare to have a record come with a scratch like this. 
As for stylus life there are several variables that are important. First is quality of the diamond. A pristine clean diamond is critical. Any inclusions will cause accelerated wear. Good diamonds sparkle white when viewed with a USB microscope. Then there is the shape of the diamond. The more diamond that contacts the groove the slower the wear. Older spherical and elliptical diamonds are going to wear faster than modern fine line types. Then there is tracking force. Too low is just as bad if not worse than too high as the cartridge starts bouncing around in the groove pounding into the groove walls. One play like this can ruin a record. Always set up your cartridge with an old record you do not care about. 
Playing dirty records never helps. A stylus is always going to collect some lint on occasion. This is harmless. A ball of gunk stuck to the stylus is an indicator of dirty records and means a change in record hygiene is indicated.  
Good tips, my tracking force is within spec according to Mofi, but will see if I am having some issues with the cart as the pops do seem to continue compared to people recording their sessions or their rigs are just more quiet.
So I tried out the clear audio cart with David Brubecks lp.

Wow what an experience, were there pops? Yes, did I care not really as it was just part of the experience.  Could be a great recording, could be a good cart, could be both but there is some thing special going on for me.  The segregation. Of Instruments is just fantastic, I can see the snare and symbol of the drummer, the piano is fantastic, as is the breath of the carinet.