Gallo 3.5 vs Merlin VSM-MXe

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade to different speakers. At the moment I'm running Gallo Strada's with a T3 Sub. While I enjoy this system, I would like a little more coherence and weight. Some more musicality would be nice too. I've been given the opportunity to get a pair of used Merlin VSM-Mxe with super bam for a nice price, or a new pair of Gallo 3.5's for the same $.
Any ideas?
g_goodwin
if you think about it, you are horn loading your system.
no 90 degree surfaces to reflect energy as in a square or rectangular room.
and you can propagate a longer bass wavelength down the diagonal that any other dimension in the room with the speakers anchored to the floor.
if you set it up with a door as a bass vent behind you, now you can even micro tune the room.
some of the very best sound i have every heard came from these types of set-ups.
on day 1 of the sf show i was the only one set up this way and by the end of the show there were 9 rooms like this. news spread quickly.
b
"ome of the very best sound i have every heard came from these types of set-ups"

In my home, I run setups in 5 different rooms. The small 12X12 room set up this way is by far the best overall and hard to fault IMHO even with no special room treatments used.

The only problem I have in there is the room is still relatively small. Smaller scale ensemble recordings appropriate for a room that size and pop/rock type music leaves little to want. Larger scale ensemble recordings (classical symphony, big band, etc.) where there is more going on on a larger scale tend to benefit in a larger room where there is more room for everything to breathe. But the bigger room is more a matter of quantity, not quality. I use much larger speakers there and its L shaped configuration requires a much different setup there in order to be able to make good use of the size of the room.