Gallo 3.5 vs Merlin VSM-MXe

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade to different speakers. At the moment I'm running Gallo Strada's with a T3 Sub. While I enjoy this system, I would like a little more coherence and weight. Some more musicality would be nice too. I've been given the opportunity to get a pair of used Merlin VSM-Mxe with super bam for a nice price, or a new pair of Gallo 3.5's for the same $.
Any ideas?
g_goodwin
I'm using my Mx in a diagonal set up in a 13'X13' room with tremendous results. This was of course, recommended to me by Bobby. A single trap in corner behind speakers, ceiling corners treated, and of course floor is carpeted.
Speakers are spaced 5'5" apart, and seating approximately 7' away.

By pulling the speakers out into the room, cancels out room boundaries! Also, moving the chair forward or back, also gives me some reinforcement in the tonal and bass department.

The rewards are tremendous, but requires patience.
toudou has vsm mx's.
for those who remember, back in san fran for the 98 sterophile show i used it in a 14 by 14 by 12 cube and the sound was fabulous. then for years in vegas in the 20 by 22 foot room at the alexis. i think it was roon 620 or 622.
most of these should be on the merlin site in the picture gallery. i have been recommending this set up for almost 25 years and it works like a dream. do not boo foo it!
:-)
best, b
Here are the general rules I followed to find a good location for my monitors in the 12 X 12 room.

1) Determine primary listening position
2) locate speakers to distribute sound evenly from left to right across the room. Dispersion pattern of the design is a big factor in determining what works best. Locations closer to side walls may work best.
3) Avoid exact symetrical placement of any kind relative to teh room walls
4) Best results for soundstage and imaging together may require tweeters firing to left and right of listening position and not beaming at listener. This will depend on room acoustics and tonal balance of speakers as well.
5) For best soundstage and bass results together, rear or bottom ported designs may need to come out several feet from rear wall. Front ported or sealed designs may go closer to rear wall.
6) Small changes in placement and/or orientation relative to the listening position can have big effects. Liten carefully with a variety of music over time and fine tune as needed.
Let me also add that, reading articles such as, "How to set up a dedicated listening room without fancy treatments", was a tremendous help.

It is written by Steve Deckert, where he discusses at length, the benefits of a diagonal set up.

http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

Enjoy.

David
if you think about it, you are horn loading your system.
no 90 degree surfaces to reflect energy as in a square or rectangular room.
and you can propagate a longer bass wavelength down the diagonal that any other dimension in the room with the speakers anchored to the floor.
if you set it up with a door as a bass vent behind you, now you can even micro tune the room.
some of the very best sound i have every heard came from these types of set-ups.
on day 1 of the sf show i was the only one set up this way and by the end of the show there were 9 rooms like this. news spread quickly.
b