Subwoofer for Wilson Maxx2

my room is about 22x33 ft, my maxx2 are sitting about 11ft from the front wall, and 8,5 ft apart

i get very good image, width..depth..etc.., however not enough bass

i tried to locate the maxx closer to the front wall, from 4 ft..etc.., however at 11ft everything are better, but not enough bass

so i want to add 2 subwoofer ...wondering any Maxx2 users or full range speakers user are running subwoofer and able to give me some suggestion ?

i do not want to spend that much for Wilson Sub...
mgmmgm
My bass improved after treating for bass and I have a watchdog I don't use any more. Maxx 2s in a similar position to yours in almost the exact same size room. Went through the same thing as you. Moving out into the room gives the best mids & highs but the bass impact goes down. Yes you can use a subwoofer from 35Hz down but 1st treat the room with bass traps. I understand you treated it for 1 or 2nd order reflection but bass traps in the corners actually increase bass resolution and will probably demand a slight change in speaker placement. Trying to save you money. If you are a DIYer you can make your own bass traps for near nothing.
speaker's need to be closer to the back wall. Voice them as instructed in manual and or add bass traps. Those speakers have plenty of bass.
I sort of agree with Rockitman. I use Maxx 2 now, Wp before these, and could not imagine having them that far into the room. Did you adjust the head unit, spikes and toe in when you moved them back? I also think something is not right somewhere. They should be full range and do everything very very well ( closer to the wall and corners ). I also think if you are going to cross them over that high, it is not worth it having Maxx's.

You're speakers are basically 60% subwoofer already! After that, it's cables, gear and the room.

Blending a sub with Wilson's is not as easy as it sounds. They have a unique flavor and I could always hear the sub with the exception of very very few. You almost have to go Watch Dog to get seamless sound. The bigger Thiel may work.
Audiofeil

I have absolutely no financial interest what so ever. Mgmmgm lives in Hong Kong and that is a little outside my territory. I know you are an international dealer but I am not.

My opinions are no more biased then anyone else on Audiogon. The Torus is an excellent Infrasonic Generator and I have no hesitation to recommend even to individuals who will never be my customers. To suggest that I am not being honest is slanderous and I would appreciate it if you would refrain.

Readers should be aware that you are a dealer and to promote yourself by trashing other dealers is totally unethical.

Just stating the facts here. No IMO's

Dear Richard,

I hate to disagree but you are totally wrong.

I worked for Sound by Singer, in their glory Wilson years and I was in fact the top Wilson salesman in the country for most of that time, Mark Goldman would bear that out.

As an experiment I connected a REL Stentor to the Grande Slamms Singer had the Whamms but they were came and went, and low and behold much more bass and it totally integrated.

Singers big room was roughly 30 by 20 by 10 and even the mighty Grande Slamms which morphied into the Alexandrias, has difficulty delivering impressive low end into a room with that kind of volume.

As per the speaker is mostly sub woofer again not true, an active bass system will always produce superior bass performance as it is a closed system and many sub woofers employ thousands of watts of direct power to overcome the limitations of loss of sensitivity which occurs as cabinet volume shrinks, closed system means you can actively eq the woofer and produce a ton of output.

Also it is totally conceivable that this gentleman has the speakers setup perfectly and at 11 feet probably gets the best sense of depth with the most uncolored mid range.

There are a number of good subs which will match well, it also depends on how well they are setup.

Obviously the Wilson subs would be great however there are many others:

REL Stentor or Studio
JL Labs F113 two would be much more affordable tnan a Gotham
I would pass on Torus, very fast but not a lot of output
Escalante Unita hard to find but superb woofer lots of super tight output and very fast. Thiery Budge designed this woofer and he was the orginal designer of the WP by
the way.
I haven't played with the new Paradigm subs but they are supposed to be excellent.
Stay away from Velodyne not up to the task, slow and does not have the mega output of the JL.s
Newer REl's not as good as the older series.

I know Audio Feil is going to come calling but what do I know I was the top Wilson guy for many years and my customers included Qunintessential Sound and Tommy Boy Records, and I personally setup over 40 pairs of WP and a few Max, and Grande Slams in my day as well as personally owning both WP 3 and WP 5!