A Couple Little Things I'm Wondering About

Two quick questions for anyone with any experience with either topic.

1. Why do some folks with usually higher end systems use those cable lifters to keep the cable elevated? What are they intended to do? If you use them, what do they do for you please? And if you know do they make sense from a purely technical standpoint? 

2. I bought a bunch of those gold plated caps to cover all the unused RCA jacks on the back of my AVR. I believe they are intended to keep noise down. If you use these, please comment on them. Do you think they do what they're supposed to do, and/or do they make sense from a purely technical standpoint?

Thanks!
jcolespeedway
@dannad-      Clearly, you don’t understand the function/choice/application of, "time windows", as regards separating impulse responses, reflections, freqs, times, etc, when using FFT algorithms.    But then, no surprise!     I don’t expect anyone of your ilk (Naysayer Doctrine adherents) to comprehend, assimilate or discover anything, that reflects a modern view of this universe, or-disagrees with your rhetoric.     I never said the thread wasn’t about RCA caps, nor- did I dispute your proposed experiment.      ONLY, that I never addressed the subject.      Again: apoplectic, much?     As for my tone; if it reflects anything but distain for those of your ilk, OOPS!
Post removed 
Personally I can't find a difference. The manufacturer of my cables sees no difference. He recommends leaving them on the floor and coiling the excess. He has a very high end system (better than Chuck Miller's). I have a high end system and I can't hear a difference.

I've tried a couple of different cable lifters in my system.  As long and you avoid running an IC in parallel with a power cable and have a high end system you should not notice a difference. Try it yourself. You may like them as much as Chuck Miller does or you may find no difference at all. They do help with organizing the cables and they really look so cool!

Only @millercarbon will disagree because he has spoken and he is always right.
tuberculin,

"I thought the subject of this thread is cable lifters!"

That is half of the subject. The other half is dust caps for RCA connectors. The question is "are they just dust caps or they are sophisticated electronic accessory?"
@dannad- No problem, although; I’ve never used REW.      My Tact RCS 2.2X has a program that sends a very short, very strong initial FFT pulse (pop), to each of my main and subwoofer amps.      Any possible room reflections would take longer to reach the mic, than the direct, initial impulse, from speakers to mic.      The program’s time window is short enough to ignore anything arriving at the mic, after that short, initial pulse.      Once the algorithm has the data regarding arrival time differences, between each main and sub (L + R), it delays the the main, to bring it into phase with it’s respective sub, as well as adjusting the sub’s SPL to match (in my case).      Been my favorite function of the unit.      It frees me from having to time-align the acoustic centers of my subs’ drivers, with those of the mains, like back in the old days (over 20 years ago).      Of course; the closer the subs are to an alignment with the mains, the less correction the TacT has to do.      I’ve used programs/equipment in professional settings(ie: the DBX DriveRack), when bi or tri-amping, that perform the same function.      Nothing new!      After that; achieving a flat room response, using the typical auto-curve, is cake.