High Performance Audio - The End?

Steve Guttenberg recently posted on his audiophiliac channel what might be an iconoclastic video.

Steve attempts to crystallise the somewhat nebulous feeling that climbing the ladder to the high-end might be a counter productive endeavour. 

This will be seen in many high- end quarters as heretical talk, possibly even blasphemous.
Steve might even risk bring excommunicated. However, there can be no denying that the vast quantity of popular music that we listen to is not particularly well recorded.

Steve's point, and it's one I've seen mentioned many times previously at shows and demos, is that better more revealing systems will often only serve to make most recordings sound worse. 

There is no doubt that this does happen, but the exact point will depend upon the listeners preference. Let's say for example that it might happen a lot earlier for fans of punk, rap, techno and pop.

Does this call into question almost everything we are trying to ultimately attain?

Could this be audio's equivalent of Martin Luther's 1517 posting of The Ninety-Five theses at Wittenberg?

-----

Can your Audio System be too Transparent?

Steve Guttenberg 19.08.20

https://youtu.be/6-V5Z6vHEbA

cd318
@millercarbon-I don't understand your comment concerning background music speakers.  I assume that you were not writing about Von Schweikerts, Lumenwhites or Legacy speakers.  My Signature IIIs in my second system kills the Elac Andante-no contest.  Sure, it's a $6,500 or $7,500 in its current iteration.  The Tekton I heard was not for me as it is too limiting in listening width, a one person speaker, which is fine if that is what you want it to do.  Same with Quad 57s-they can be upgraded to excellent quality but lack dynamics and bass no matter what one does to it.  

The other problem I find in many high end system is poor matching of components and bad cabling (which can cost as much as the equipment).  I can play electric 78s and mono LPs and derive great musicality despite sonic limitations.  No one comes to my home (pre-Covid) and said anything about my analog sound.  Usually, they couldn't tell it wasn't a digital format since record noise was absent just the music was heard.  The worst problem I have with poor recordings is compressed sound (don't get me started about phony stereo-95% of the time bad).  Weird balances, frequency anomalies, missing highs and/or bass are not always detrimental to musical enjoyment but the better the system, the better the communication of the music despite the recording faults.  

Purchasing high end sounding speakers used is generally a great idea.  There is competition for the Tekton brand at similar prices.  There are always trade-offs but I would rather own older VS speakers at the same price (or my current Legacy speakers) than Tektons as I desire a wide seating/listening area with big dynamics and near electrostat quality mids..
Well, the addition of six subs most definitely changes the game for a bookshelf speaker. Does it magically make the Elac perform as a far higher end speaker? Only relatively, not inherently. That's one of the largest problems this community has, a belief in magical transformation of products, such that they somehow jump to a higher level of performance than better gear if only the right ancillary components are selected. It's wishful thinking, and not a good way to build superior systems. Such rigs typically have major shortcomings.  

The addition of multiple larger drivers to jack up LF is a valid way to get more out of a speaker. I do similar when I add the Legacy Audio XTREME XD Subwoofers, with one active and one passive 15" driver per sub, to the already prodigiously equipped Legacy Audio Whisper DSW Clarity Edition, which has its native eight 15" woofers. The result? An even more prodigious performance, with presence and articulation in the bass at low level that seems preternatural. 

Now, If I were to put in the modest Insignia 2-way speakers that were all the rage years ago (I have a pair I have kept for the fun of it) with those subs, would that magically make them perform on a par with the Whisper? One would have to be completely delusional to think so. Would they be "game changer" in the sense that they somehow were doing as the Whisper does? No, not at all. That's the kind of game that a Chinztiphile plays in an attempt to save lots of money, and they are only fooling themselves. That video is of a gimmick that appears designed to showcase subs, and kudos to REL, as it does. It would be a terribly compromised solution for the audiophile to set up the Elac speaker in such a fashion. 

YMMV, and I am not interested in arguing my observations.  :) 
@twoleftears , the Adante is "flawed"? I guess that’s why it won EISA’s product of the year award over speakers that cost magnitudes more. All the guys at EISA must be stupid too. Have you actually heard it with competent gear in a decent room dude? Or are you another one of the prophesizing yappers on this forum who never heard it? ."it may sound like"..."it should sound like...".... yappers and their prophesies!

The Adantes were selling like hot cakes all over Asia (more intelligent customers there, i suppose). The reason it was stalling a bit in the US was because Elac entered the US market at a entry level price (the Debuts for a coupla hundred bucks). Nobody had ever heard of Elac before over here. When the price got higher, dudes were stalling thinking it’s a entry level speaker brand. Make Revel release a speaker for 200 bucks. Examine how many 20k speakers they sell after that.....It has a lot do with posturing.....Either way, the only reason it was discontinued was because Elac Germany didn’t want A. Jones’s concentric driver designs taking over their ’higher end’ offerings (a.k.a steal their thunder). They had many of their pricier offerings with the JET tweeters to sell. They also forced him to do something with a JET tweeter (Carina? whatever). Goofy move.

Another unique coupled cavity design like the Adante will come back from Andrew at some point in the future (If Elac Germany isn't too butthurt about losing their thunder), priced at 30k & above. Watch the audiophools unload their wallet when that happens. Audiophools will only get down on their knees and bow down in respect when they see a high price tag. Observe these audiophools bow down in respect to an absolute piece of crap speaker because they saw a high price tag somewhere. It happens everyday....So, a charity price release often gets no respect no matter how good it is (from clowns who’ve never even heard it in the first place).... Andrew should stop doing charity and set the price at 30k and above. Why stop at 30k... make it 60k or 80k....the audiophool clown car will bow down for longer...it will be a lovely sight.
"Either way, the only reason it was discontinued was because Elac Germany didn’t want A. Jones’s concentric driver designs taking over their ’higher end’ offerings (a.k.a steal their thunder). They had many of their pricier offerings with the JET tweeters to sell. They also forced him to do something with a JET tweeter (Carina? whatever). Goofy move."

That is quite some insider's knowledge of ELAC's business practices. Member of the board of directors? Chief Operating Officer?