Amps for Focal Maestros

I'm currently looking for new monos for my Maestros.  I currently use PrimaLuna Dialogue HP amps in mono config.  Generally, they sound wonderful but lack in the bass, especially the mid and upper bass.  I rolled KT150s and that did make a noticeable improvement, but still not where I'd like.

Part of the issue is I love the sound of tubes in the midrange and high frequencies.  My Maestros cannot be bi-amped.

I've listened to Naim and McIntosh as the only dealer in the area with a set of Maestros reps those brands.  Did not like either.

I've thought about Pass Labs XA200.8 or X600.8 and Kent at Pass Labs assures me the bass would be there.  But, the Maestros have a serious dip in impedance in the base well below 2 ohms with accompanying difficult phase angle.  I read a review in Stereophile about the XA200s driving Wilson Alexias.  The Wilsons have a similar impedance dip to the Maestros and the comment was made that they lacked bass energy.  Ugh.

Of course, it is near impossible to audition without a large outlay of cash and associated cost of return.  

Appreciate any feedback.

cory_engel
I use Krell FPB 450mcx monos with my Focal Maestro. They make deep, powerful and articulate bass. 1800 watt pure class A at 2 Ohm.
Went to a local dealer to listen again to the Focals with Naim 500 series and Mac 1.25kW.  Was very interesting in that the Naim system sounded absolutely fantastic this time (I had previously had a quick listen and did not think they were anything special). Bass was of course improved, but the most impressive thing was the sound stage.  I've never heard such a wide and deep presentation.  The rep said it was largely a function of speaker positioning in addition to the electronics.  I was able to make some improvements to my current system based on his tips.  Houston Audio really did a great job setting everything up ahead of time.  Definately will buy from them if the Naims prove to be the winners.

The Macs were another story.  At almost 10 times the rated power of the Naims, they sounded muffed, dull and lifeless.  The rep said many people prefer the sound I found uninspiring.  To each their own for sure.  I'm not at all trashing Mac as I've heard them with B&Ws for example and thought it was an outstanding sound.  Apparently they match very well with Sonus Faber.

I really wanted to hear the Ayre MX-R Twenties, so headed next to the dealer for them.  Unfortunately, they do not carry any Ayre in stock for audition and do not plan to get any.  It is so difficult to get any listening done these days...

That dealer had a system available with Wilson Alexia 2s, D'agostino Momentum monos and preamp. It was the worst system I have ever heard!  The bass was prodigious, but the tonality was way off.  Piano sounded more like electric bass and was slow and muddy.  I was so surprised I mentioned it to the rep and he agreed.  He said it was because they had not yet calibrated the cables, which were Transparent Opus cables for like $60k!  I cannot believe this system did not have some other issue as I know the combination is highly regarded.  The room was a bad setup, but that was not the main cause of what I heard.  Maybe it was the cables, but wow, not good.

So for now, Naim is the front runner, but just because it is so difficult to audition.  I do have a rep willing to bring out Lamm for an in home listen, but find myself wishing for audio shows to return.
You shoilf checkout 
The new coda 16 330k amp sound for 16k

Dave and troy
Audiointellect nj

I paired my Scala Evos with a Mc C2700 and a pair of MC 3500 mk2 power amps.  Source is an Esoteric N-01XD network streamer and DAC.   All connected with Clarus Crimson cables.  It sounds really good.  And loud.  

As an owner of them i wouldnt rule out citadel 1.5s, are overkillish for. My snells but amazing