High Performance Audio - The End?

Steve Guttenberg recently posted on his audiophiliac channel what might be an iconoclastic video.

Steve attempts to crystallise the somewhat nebulous feeling that climbing the ladder to the high-end might be a counter productive endeavour. 

This will be seen in many high- end quarters as heretical talk, possibly even blasphemous.
Steve might even risk bring excommunicated. However, there can be no denying that the vast quantity of popular music that we listen to is not particularly well recorded.

Steve's point, and it's one I've seen mentioned many times previously at shows and demos, is that better more revealing systems will often only serve to make most recordings sound worse. 

There is no doubt that this does happen, but the exact point will depend upon the listeners preference. Let's say for example that it might happen a lot earlier for fans of punk, rap, techno and pop.

Does this call into question almost everything we are trying to ultimately attain?

Could this be audio's equivalent of Martin Luther's 1517 posting of The Ninety-Five theses at Wittenberg?

-----

Can your Audio System be too Transparent?

Steve Guttenberg 19.08.20

https://youtu.be/6-V5Z6vHEbA

cd318
"When i stop by my doc’s house..."

In old days, doctors would make house calls. These days patients do house calls?
deep_333,
"@glupson, i can only imagine which genius designed your speaker! (Tee hee) "
By now, we know you have very vivid imagination.
@glupson, what do you mean "By now, we know"? Do you mean both Jekyll and Hyde? I, personally, have never heard the Pioneer BS22 LR. But, i have seen them sold on either amazon or walmart.com at 80 bucks for the pair. It could be someone’s bar bill on a Friday afternoon. I suppose you were using that speaker in your comment as an example to imply that stuff made by A. Jones is a let down perhaps? How about this....You should give the fabulous engineer who designed your fabulous speakers 80 bucks to work with. You may be able to bask in the glory of a crapbox he gives you for 80 bucks.
@fleschler , my comment never said the Moabs sound better than the Von Schweikerts. There's a reason i had the Schweikerts and they are designed by some very competent guys. But, you pay for it dearly. If you have a large treated space and did justice to it, they are in a class of their own. I gave them to my son as a housewarming gift and have not heard them for 3 years. In essence, my comment was trying to emphasize that the Moabs are an absolute steal at 4.5k and play ball against a lotta stuff that costs magnitudes more. There's a reason my buddy shed his Wilsons for it.

I am extremely thankful to guys like A.Jones, Eric A and maybe Danny Richie too for coming up with stuff at charity prices that could bring more music lovers into this (especially the newer generation). Either way, It's time for this tiny group of silly old pompous goats running a phallus measurement contest in forums like these to move on in life. 
@prof,

So if it’s the case that audio gear isn’t necessarily too good for the product, but that careful and due consideration MUST be applied before any major upgrade to avoid disappointment then some kind of personal strategy might be advisable.

We certainly don't want products that exercise unwanted editorial pressures upon our desired musical message.

The initial premise?

’My overriding first criteria is that my system sound "organic" - wood like wood, flesh like flesh - rather than cold, sterile and having an electronic or metallic quality.’

Absolutely the first criteria I would automatically use to assess any driver from the one in my smartphone / iPad / TV / Hi-Fi system etc.

Far too many speakers seem to fall at this preliminary step. From the budget all the way to the highest of the high end.

Stage 1?

’It uses paper drivers/soft dome. Both those speakers just exemplify the "organic" sound quality I love.’

This is what my current Tannoy speakers provide in spades, as did my Rega’s and the previous Tannoy’s.

Stage 2?

’they were so rich, timbrally colorful, and relaxed.’

Hopefully this is what my next speakers will do even better than the Berkeley’s. Even cheap metal drivers can do good things with timbre, even if those might lack a certain refinement.

’Both use the similar looking Seas midrange/woofer [metal] drivers, so it’s hard for me not to intuit there is something about the quality of those drivers bringing something to the party.’

The promise of enhanced clarity without pain might mean a possible step up from the tried and tested organic paper drivers as used by Tannoy, Wilson, Sonus Faber, Rega, JBL, ATC etc.

From SEAS : "These cones feature extremely high stiffness along with good internal damping. SEAS Excel Magnesium cone drivers are world renowned for their high definition, low distortion and sound reproduction."

http://seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=49&Itemid=246