Speakers hung from ceiling on aircraft cable.

Opinion question:

We are thinking of suspending a pair of KEF LS50 speakers from the ceiling using aircraft cable. Do you think having them not rigidly mounted will diminish bass? Will the woofers cause the speakers to move?

davidclarke
I had a Mini Utopia speaker suspended from 4 piano wires behind a perforated drop screen in a multi purpose home theater for 5 years.
Worked fine crossed over at 50 HZ.
OK, I can't resist this....*s*

We've been to concerts where the speaker arrays weigh a lot more than a LS50, typically hauled up with chain hoists.  Obviously, whatever you hang X from needs to be able to cope with the weight.

I've had three bookshelf speakers, vertically aligned, per side hanging in my shop.  Each side weighs 'bout 60ish lbs., affixed together with 4 threaded rods with some blocking to basically 'clamp' them together. 
Nil vibration between them...and no holes either.

Suspension is chain, overrated for the weight involved; this is done in a fashion to allow the 'array' to be tilted forward about 10 degrees.
This is easily adjustable...if it's on the floor.  Not a fan of manipulating heavy objects in mid-air....

BTW, the speakers are motionless even with heavy bass lines...cones moving to and fro cancel out, but it's not a concert hall either.

If you're going to weight a speaker for stability, do it on the bottom. Top-heavy anything hung is not a good idea....

In a 'residential app', the occasional 'bump' needs to be considered. Do not stand up underneath them, nor walk into them.  High ceilings are preferable.

You do give up the floor effects on bass, but it works at the ceiling too.
And there's always the corners...

Have at it, J
....too much work to test the idea......I would think it best to leave it alone.
@stringreen, yes, one’s going to have to expend time, energy, and some $ to do so. In my situation, it made sense and got the drivers out of harms’ way....and idle fingers, too....;)

But the ’poor man’s line arrays' light up a 40’ x 24’w.x 14’h. space rather nicely. *L* Closest thing I’ve got to a reasonably ’uncluttered’ listening room.

Been considering hanging a pair of my Walsh omnis’ upside-down just to see what hath j wrought....;)
hmmm....Springs, no....Bungi cord, Yes. Ought to dampen any vibration.
I’ve a source for cord without hooks....

One has to think outside the box....Personally, I don't believe 'the box' exists....