The psychological factor

Since I got a new amplifier a while ago, I have hesitated putting the volume control on the preamp past 12 o’clock because that was never a good choice with previous amps.  I was afraid I would overload the system.  I now find that factor was depriving me of the best sound I could obtain.
Placing it now at 12 or above, I’m now finally enjoying what the amp is truly capable of.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything like that.
128x128rvpiano
Wouldn't it be better to have the preamp matched to the amp, so that at the amps max output the preamp volume control would be up above 12:00 taking the deficiencies of the volume control out of the equation.
My amp has no numbers or markings on its volume control and it drives me crazy trying to figure out what volume I’m on - it’s frustrating beyond belief. It Is the best sounding and most balanced amp I have ever had, but I’m so sick of using my ears, and not ultimately knowing it’s volume setting by just looking at it is killing me. So I’ve decided to replace it with an amp the volume of which I can actually see. ; )

rvpiano - entirely in good psychological humour and friendship : ) - kevin
kevn,

I sympathize with you.  When my preamp was out for repair I got one with a remote control, which I thought would be great.  But it drove me crazy not knowing what the level was.