Benchmark DAC1

Is it possible to hook up an amplifier to this unit and use the headphone gain control as a volume control? I thought I read somewhere you could but just want to clarify. And If one was to purchase this DAC what would be a good transport? Does it even matter? And am I right to assume that for people who want a universal player but are on a limited budget ($1500) that DAC/transport is the best way to go? Thanks
slov_dream
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a pre-amplifier? By single input you mean I can only hook up a Transport and nothing else? Thanks
Slov,

1) You can indeed use the Benchmark as a pre-amp. There is a rear-mounted switch where you can choose between line-level output or variable output via front-mounted volume control.

2) The DAC1 seems to be pretty tolerant of its transports. I've used it on several sources, and I don't think I can credibly tell the difference between my cheap-ass DVD player, my not-at-all-cheap Simaudio Moon Equinox, and Apple Airport Express (with lossless-encoded files).

3) There is a front-panel switch where you can toggle between the S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and TosLink inputs, so you can have more than one source connected at once.
Note that in point #3, all of these are digital inputs. So you can't run anything analog thru it (as a preamp). Would work for the right satellite radio though!
I use a mid 90's vintage Conrad Johnson transport with my DAC-1 and works great. I also have an Polk XM Satellite receiver connected and toggle between the two sources. Have not tried utilizing the DAC-1 directly into my amp; but is an option described in the owners manual. As long as you do not have any analog sources you could run without a pre. Second the advice of contacting Benchmark Media....very easy to do business with.
I was able to notice a difference between my Parasound belt driven transport & my Phillips 963sa. The Parsound sounded much better, musical & smooth vs. bright & analytical with the 963. I am also using a DH Labs digital cable.

I use my Benchmark as a volume control/pre-amp. I have it connected to my BAT VK60 with excellent results.