DAC choices -- help me cross the line

My current DAC is Cambridge Audio Azur 851D driving the two channel speaker system in the study. My headphone system consists of a Bluesound Node 2i feeding into a Quicksilver headphone amp. The plan is to put the CA DAC in the headphone chain and sell the Node, so this means I have to purchase a new DAC for the 2 channel system in the study. Here's what the 2 channel system looks like ...
opticalRendu >> CA Azur 851D (to be replaced) >> Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum 2 >> Harbeth P3esr

So what am I looking for? Heft, holographic, a bit of warmth, big organic sound, tonal richness. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of neutrality or accuracy. I listen to all kinds of music but am partial to jazz, vocals, classic rock. 

I almost pulled the trigger on a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ but wanted to take the R2R DACs for a spin just for kicks. I was initially interested in the MHDT Pagoda or Orchid, but their no-return policy is a no go for me. I know some people don't mind, but I really don't want to give my business to a company who doesn't trust its own products.

So this leads me to three final contenders -- AudioMirror Tubadour iii SE, Tubadour iii (regular/non-SE) and the Border Patrol DAC. Really interested in hearing from someone who might have heard at least one of the two, or better yet compared the Audiomirror to one of the MHDT DACs.

Now Audiomirror offers two versions of the Tubadour III -- SE and non-SE, with the SE being a $1000 costlier. Wondering if the sonic improvements are worth the higher $$$ in the SE version. Would love to hear from someone who has had a chance to compare the two.

Also wondering how the Tubadour III regular version compares to MHDT Pagoda. Both are around the same price.

Note: If are going to suggest another DAC, I don't mind. But please make sure it's R2R, < $2500 (used or new), has a return policy, and NOT made in China.

128x128arafiq
Is there are benefit to using the XLR outputs vs the RCA on the Tubadour . It seems to me you have to choose one of the 2 when the unit is being built. That is it does not come with both outputs. I will be connecting the Tubadour to a Benchmark HPA4 preamp. I would prefer RCA since my other 2 XLR inputs are already spoken for, however, I could make some adjustments if the XLR is much better.
@yyzsantabarbara I think the best thing to do is to reach out to Vlad directly and see what he says. Although, you probably won't hear from him for several days ... guess that's just the way he rolls. Another option is to ask teejay who is very well informed when it comes to such matter. But I must say that RCA is no slouch either.

@pastorbob -- Today I was playing some music via the Tubadour DAC while working. I can say it without a doubt that this is the best I've heard thus far. There is something just so magical and engaging, hard to describe in words. I'm going to keep pushing the envelope and get a better USB cable, followed by a power cord in the next month or so. I think eventually I'm going to ask Vlad to upgrade it to the SE version. Thanks once again for such a fantastic recommendation.
Hi @Arafiq,
Spot on advice regarding contacting Vlad about the build.
That''s the beauty of dealing directly with the manufacturer (in this case Vlad...LOL)

I run Cardas Golden Presence RCA interconnects & am very pleased with them.
I've not had any experience with XLR connections.
My understanding is that XLR are beneficial when longer cable runs are in play.
Maybe you or someone can educate me about the benefits of XLR to sound quality.

As for the Tubadour; I agree with your comments completely.
In concert with tithe the LTA Micro Zotl amp the sound stage & imaging are indeed 3D with the right music.

What USB are you using?
I have the original Curious Cable from Australia.
It has made quite a difference in my system., so much so that I actually consider it a component.

I have gone through a few power cords, but not as many as interconnects.
I have found Audio Envy to be very good.
Right now I am using Signal Cable Magic power cords throughout & am happy with those.
Both of the above are VERY reasonably priced.

Kind regards,
P.B.

@yyzsantabarbara IIRC, teejay (Terry London) has raved about the balanced version of MHDT Pagoda as compared to the regular version, so clearly there's a benefit. If the rest of the chain also supports balanced, I'm pretty sure it will offer some benefits. I hope he can shed some light on this topic.