Analog or Digital and why?

Computers don't make very good guitars. Back in the 90's the debate raged with digital people saying one day digital will get so good, records will become obsolete. Well it's 25 years later and, well the digital thing never happened and analog never sounded better. However you got to remorgage your house. And buy records. 
128x128chrismini
Digital quality has already surpassed analog at one quarter of the cost.
One does not need to know the technology to know this is not true. The reason is simple: the period of least vinyl production was 1992-1993, which to be clear was about 27 years ago! Vinyl has been on the increase in sales ever since and the only thing limiting it that long ago was the record labels themselves.

So you have to ask- why is this format still around?? Usually when the prior art is surpassed by the new technology, the prior art is relegated to dust bins and museums (think about side-valve engines and you get my point). I know a lot of people that did get rid of their analog library and have since regretted it. The only real answer here is that people still want vinyl even though digital is ubiquitous and accessible. About all you can say about that is there is something about the LP that people like enough to keep it around and when you ask people why (and I'm talking about kids and non-audiophiles) they often point to the sound- metal heads like the superior way that the LP does the cymbals when played at ear-splitting volumes; the CD is too 'crisp' and so on.

Now I have some ideas about why vinyl might sound better- our mastering lathe has an older Westerex cutter head, and its got no problem going out to 40KHz, which is a bit of a trick for digital. In additional almost any phono section has bandwidth that high, and so do most cartridges. When we test our system, we cut a 30KHz tone and play it back on an older Technics SL1200 I got on Craigslist, equipped with a Grado Gold, and played through an older Japanese MM phono section- and there is our 30KHz tone (we do this so that we can be sure our cut can be played by an ordinary turntable). In addition, once the cutter is set up right, it can cut grooves so quiet that it does not matter what electronics you have- they will be the noise floor. The surface noise comes in during the pressing process.

I've also found that most people that prefer digital are turned off by the ticks and pops of vinyl. But in my design work of phono preamps of the last 40 years, I've found that phono preamps can generate ticks and pops that sound for all the world as if they are on the LP surface. These can be caused if the phono section has poor high frequency overload margins and stability issues related to the simple fact that cartridges are inductors. If you are able to recognize these facts as a designer, you can make a phono preamp that exhibits less ticks and pops. I'm very used to hearing entire LP sides with no ticks or pops whatsoever. Now there are a number of phono sections in high end that have proper stability in this regard, but what I've found is that if you grew up using inexpensive phono preamps made in Japan for MM cartridges, the probability is very high that you think that ticks and pops are endemic with LPs.
cakyol wrote:     "Digital all the way now. Analog will be dinosaurs in a few decades, maybe even less. "

Funny. That's exactly what EVERYBODY told me in the late 80's... Did Not Happen.
Try again...
Digital has made several quality leaps in recent years and I have owned some fantastic digital gear (Innuos Zenith MK3 + Lampizator). It is convenient, there are lots of music choices and it sounds great BUT 'I' still prefer my current analogue rig to any system I have owned.  Yes, it is more work but I now make listening more of an event.  When I invite guests over they are blown away, their preconceived concept of vinyl playback is changed.  As good a digital has gotten 'for me' it is still missing something.  For me vinyl sounds more real and musical.  I get moved emotionally more with vinyl than digital.  I am not putting digital down at all and I believe it will continue to evolve. Either way the hobby benefits. 
Funny people dont realize that this is not a war between 2 technology.... Vinyl is outpaced now for many reasons.... Practicality being just one....The digitalized accessibility to all kind and style of music another one...

Where in the world can you buy vinyl of sitar, tar, tabla, tanbur, setar, tar, erhu, oud, and more? and now all new offers of classical music? Where are the vinyl of the last jazz albums in the world?

Except for fans of the pop music of the sixties and seventies, and jazz of the same era, the limitation of the offer is staggering.... Will i confine myself to pop music and rock at near 70 years old? Hell no.....

Some last poster says it is a war not lost between 2 technologies, and normally the victorious technology erase the other he says... But the vinyl makes a comeback then is not dead technology... Very funny analysis indeed...And completely wrong...

Vinyl survive by the fetishism of the material object in your hand, the vinyl disc itself, the beautiful turntable is an object of art in itself, but mostly the designed images of cardboard pocket, there is even a market for the used pocket.....

It is not the technological superiority of analog that explain the come back of vinyl, it is the popularity of pop music, the fetishism associated with it , with the object and with the technology; it is not the S.Q. at all except in few rare cases where someone can compare the 2 technology on the same super costly audio gear and decide by himself which is better ,at this time, on this gear, with only this few cd and vinyl to compared with........For the average guy a 10,000 dollars digital system rightly embedded will outclass a 1000 dollars vinyl system and the reverse is also true.... There is no S.Q. absolute superiority... One technology is superior for many practical reason and not only some relative S.Q. superiority....

Digital is immaterial, and the fetishism of the plastic box with his small booklet which we must read seems less erotic.... :)

My personal choice is digital for practical and tech reason....The music i like mostly is not on vinyl now....

i crush my last vinyl before the cd era in furor because even new there was clicks and pop.....I never look back....