Does the first reflection point actually matter??

Hello my friends,

So please read the whole post before commenting. The question is nuanced.

First, as you probably know I’m a huge fan of the well treated room, and a fan boy of GIK acoustics as a result, so what I am _not_ arguing is against proper room treatment. I remember many years ago, perhaps in Audio magazine (dating myself?) the concept of treating the first reflection points came up, and it seems really logical, and quickly adopted. Mirrors, flashlights and lasers and paying the neighbor’s kid (because we don’t have real friends) to come and hold them while marking the wall became common.

However!! In my experience, I have not actually been able to tell the difference between panels on and off that first reflection point. Of course, I can hear the difference between panels and not, but after all these years, I want to ask if any of you personally know that the first reflection point really matters more than other similar locations. Were we scammed? By knowing I mean, did you experiment? Did you find it the night and day difference that was uttered, or was it a subtle thing, and if those panels were moved 6" off, would you hear it?

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
The software, apart from showing you waterfall plots which identify the most troublesome frequencies, will also help you position your speakers and subs.

You are preaching to the choir.  What I wonder about is how to be helpful with the least amount of trouble for an audiophile, or better yet, a music-phile, who just wants to get excellent results.

I wonder how many really want to learn what the software does, measure and adjust, and also, without a lot of reading and research, come to the right answers. Having the tools doesn't mean you have the skills.

And I don't want to discourage anyone from learning.  What my narrow question here is, for an audiophile who is new to the idea of room acoustics, and wants excellent results, am I doing them a service by suggesting they get a mic and REW or OmniMic, or am I better off suggesting they get a consultant like GIK to help them?
Why not advising people to have fun....Trying  their own ears a step at a time, with low cost materials and some creations of their own? i just do that and my room is heaven...( i just create a new form of diffusor)

It is remarkable that people trust formulas and not their ears.... Room geometry and content are acoustically complex, ready made formulas on a program will not do better at the end than your listenings playful experiments....

Be creative, free yourself, trust yourself, is my advice....

:)

The software and measurement are merely tools allow you to see as well as hear your room acoustics.To better understand what you hear.
Your software is only good for PASSIVE materials installation...

You ears can guide you to ACTIVE modification with ACTIVE device, , for example resonators...

No program exist to direct you in a specfic room with his particular geometry and content about the way to use resonators, and any active device...

In small room NO program do better than your ears...

By the way the ears SEE....

If not, you are deaf by social programmation........

:)