Tubes?

I have Revel Salon 2 speakers. Sensitivity is about 85 db. and 4 ohms. They are power hungry speakers. Currently, I am driving them with McIntosh 601's and a McIntosh solid state preamp. I was look looking at a pair of McIntosh MC2301. They are tube amps rated at 300 watts into 2 - 8 ohm loads. I listen to all types of music (sometimes at very high levels). I never run out of power with the 601's, but I am very intrigued with tubes. This may be a misconception, but I remember some friends who played guitar saying, tube watts were louder than solid state? Perhaps this is not really true or not true regarding home stereo. Perhaps the best idea is to keep the 601's and get a good tube preamp?                          Thanks, Dave 
128x128tobor007
Big VTLs can do justice to your speakers.  I've heard them with Wilsons and some other speakers requiring mucho wattage and tough impedances.  Only Class A/B tube amps are possible.  Otherwise, I would stick with SS.  I wouldn't want a low impedance speaker with low efficiency.  Even my Acoustats and M.L.s ran great on medium power Class A/B amps without the big dynamics or low bass.  I would advise a more efficient speaker or easier to drive impedance.  Harbeth's are an example of a low efficiency, high impedance speaker almost anything can drive well.  Or, choose a speaker with a built-in amp or assist amp for the bass.  They usually can be driven by moderate powered tube amps.

You will probably like tube amps; those with 6550C’s on the outputs are quite nice. Tube amps distort more softly if driven into clipping. Try amps with tubes first, the preamp having tubes is less of a concern as it will rarely be clipped. Certain of the Russian tubes were very good.
drbarney
"But if you want more, a GM-100 triode run at 4000 to 5000 volts can give you more if you don't mind the finned anode cap offering instant death to anyone who touches it." 
I remember back in the day, people running big Krell's on power hungry speakers. Then modifying their AC to cool their music room down. Probably with the suits/litigation now, systems like these would require caution signs and a burn kit to stay legal. 
I do appreciate all of the input. I picked up a McIntosh c2700 yesterday. I'll see how it works out and report back. Dave
My comments are not theory nor intended to be a blanket statement for all SS & tube amps. This is how things have played out for me over the past decade.

I had a Parasound HCA2200ii that is 250x2 or 750x1. I listened to one for several years and then picked up a 2nd to try them as monoblocks. While having both, I took a leap of faith and bought a pair of Audio Research Classic 120s. These are 110 watts each. I did A-B testing against a single Parasound and both. The ARC amps had more volume and an overall sweeter sound in both comparisons. I later bought the Parasound HCA 3500 as I always admired that beast and had the same result....those 110 tube watts still out performed the SS amps. My old preamp is B&K so I later picked up a B&K 200.2 s2 amp that is 250x2. This is my backup amp in case my tube amps have any trouble. I recently had some tubes fail that are way past their expected life. Long story, but I feared there was other issues and took the ARC amps out of the system to consider a trip to the shop. I hooked up my B&K and I just sighed with disappointment. The music simply doesn’t have the realism I get from the tubes. Now I did something weird but it was a cool experiment. The more I thought about the ARC amps, maybe it was simply a bad tube so I should have at least tried swapping tubes before lugging them to a shop. I replaced the bank of 4 where I had some red-plating. I hooked that amp back up for the R channel while the B&K was still running the L channel. I didn’t get the SPL meter out but the R speaker was significantly louder where the soundstage was shifted where the voices were almost centered on the R speaker. I would use the balance and go back and forth and it was remarkable even with just one speaker how much better the tubes sound. I realize I am not in the best class of SS amps here but Parasound and B&K are both well reviewed and respected amplifiers.

NOW....the cool factor here, my Platinum Audio Quattro floor standers have an efficiency rating of 86db!! This shouldn’t work, right?!?! What’s going on here. Don’t get obsessed with high wattage ratings. I haven’t heard one, but a friend of mine that has decades of tube amp experience recently got an ARC REF 75. These amps are said to be magical at only 75wpc. He was blown away at the dynamics he gets from his Wilson Audio Sophias. This would most likely be all the power any of us would ever need.

If you like your speakers, take the leap of faith and choose a tube amp. You may need to change speakers later, but once you sit back and spend an evening with the music they create, you will never go back! I tried to like SS better as there is no maintenance or worry of tube failure. There is no on-going expense of replacing tubes. All that doesn’t matter as the tubes are simply superior in the music they create....IN MY SYSTEM.

Good luck!