Does the first reflection point actually matter??

Hello my friends,

So please read the whole post before commenting. The question is nuanced.

First, as you probably know I’m a huge fan of the well treated room, and a fan boy of GIK acoustics as a result, so what I am _not_ arguing is against proper room treatment. I remember many years ago, perhaps in Audio magazine (dating myself?) the concept of treating the first reflection points came up, and it seems really logical, and quickly adopted. Mirrors, flashlights and lasers and paying the neighbor’s kid (because we don’t have real friends) to come and hold them while marking the wall became common.

However!! In my experience, I have not actually been able to tell the difference between panels on and off that first reflection point. Of course, I can hear the difference between panels and not, but after all these years, I want to ask if any of you personally know that the first reflection point really matters more than other similar locations. Were we scammed? By knowing I mean, did you experiment? Did you find it the night and day difference that was uttered, or was it a subtle thing, and if those panels were moved 6" off, would you hear it?

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
Erik, I use GIK panels as well. I have a small room in which I listen near field. The panels are essential, but I moved the two on the sides about 1-2 feet toward the back leaving the first reflection point exposed. What a difference. The front and rear panels needed adjusting as well, but the two on the sides made the most profound difference.

I think the FRP is a good place to start and adjust from there.

Rollin
Yes Dennis Foley is someone that understands room acoustics and how to treat a room.

I never found treating first reflection points to make any difference. Then again with my box speakers I toed them in 45 degrees per the manufacturers recommendation. FWIW, in my experience treating the ceiling and upper room corners made the biggest difference.

With my Analysis Audio, Quad 57, and Acoustat Model 2s I made some very simple 24 x 48 panels with thin foam and placed them on the back wall. They don't need to absorb much, just upper frequencies and they do the job just fine.

@jrwaudio, if your couch is up against a wall have you tried an absorption panel on the wall behind the couch. I found it helpful when my couch had to be in the same position.