Does the first reflection point actually matter??

Hello my friends,

So please read the whole post before commenting. The question is nuanced.

First, as you probably know I’m a huge fan of the well treated room, and a fan boy of GIK acoustics as a result, so what I am _not_ arguing is against proper room treatment. I remember many years ago, perhaps in Audio magazine (dating myself?) the concept of treating the first reflection points came up, and it seems really logical, and quickly adopted. Mirrors, flashlights and lasers and paying the neighbor’s kid (because we don’t have real friends) to come and hold them while marking the wall became common.

However!! In my experience, I have not actually been able to tell the difference between panels on and off that first reflection point. Of course, I can hear the difference between panels and not, but after all these years, I want to ask if any of you personally know that the first reflection point really matters more than other similar locations. Were we scammed? By knowing I mean, did you experiment? Did you find it the night and day difference that was uttered, or was it a subtle thing, and if those panels were moved 6" off, would you hear it?

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
By your question you seem to assume that 1st reflection points are correctly treated by using panels etc. I suspect that there are other and, perhaps, better ways and this is often just a band aid approach which facilitates placing the speakers too close to a wall. 

It seems that many folks want the appearance of a super wide soundstage which is best effected by utilizing the first reflection point. When they do this, IMHO, the combination of direct and 1st point reflections contribute substantially to a reduction in clarity. And a reduction in depth of image as well. If you don't hear this, with or without panels, as you seem not to do, then perhaps you are listening for the wrong thing, i.e. 'brightness'. 

Personally I find drilling down correct speaker placement and appropriate toe in are a far better solution to the problem of side wall reflections than just putting a foam panel on the wall, etc. 

FWIW.

Just do what sounds best to you and stop worrying all the time Erik.

You cant make a bad speaker sing. I suspect its your speakers that are to blame for the poor sound quality.

Why dont you reveal to us what aspect of the sound you are not happy with?
By your question you seem to assume that 1st reflection points are correctly treated by using panels etc.

Oh, no, I'm questioning the ENTIRE canon which believes 1st reflection points even matter. In my experience, these points are not actually more important than other nearby points.   That is, treating the room well matters, and treating the 1st point does not.