What is a great preamp match with the Mcintosh MC754 amplifier?

Hello all,
I just recently picked up a pair of Mcintosh MC754 amps. I am running it with an older Adcom preamp, but would like to upgrade to a much better preamp. I'm thinking of getting an Adcom 715 or 815 preamp, but I am open to other suggestions. My budget is around $500 used and I don't mind buying an older preamp that sounds great. It does not need to have a phono section in it. If anyone has experience with the MC754 amp I would love your advice.
Thanks,
Joe
jbcello
My first foray into high(er) end audio was with a 754...loved it! If you increase your budget just slightly, you might be able to find a used Aric Audio preamp. It is a completely hand made, tube based piece and it will make beautiful music with your 754's. Enjoy!
Just in general,  I would want to mate a Mac amp with a Mac pre-amp.  Don't know enough about that model to say exactly which one, but I'm sure there are pre-amps by Mac designed specifically to work with that amp hopefully with the features you want.   Features are a big part of selecting a pre-amp.
Mac + Mac, the way I’d go.

Not a lot of those made, 15-1600 something like that.

No Macs for 500.00, maybe a logo... ;-)

If you can find a Parasound Zpre3. I have one they sound quite good with my MC275 CE. I have older Mac Valve units, MC225,240,275 all sound quit good, with the parasound, and planar based speakers.

It has remote, sub out, all kinds of onboard goodies..
Check one out.. I got mine for 295.00 it was a bargain from what I was told. After I got it, I knew it was.
Great unit.. I'd pay 500.00 no problem at all.

Regards