Trans-Fi Terminator Tonearm: 2019 Update

In reading a few related posts on linear tracking tonearm, in general,  and Trans-Fi Terminator , in particular, I thought I would give a brief update of the Terminator.

I purchased the arm directly from Andrey in Moscow two months ago. From what I understand, Andrey has taken over production after Vic's retirement. What I received is the most up-to-date version of the arm with the carbon fibre wand and brass counterweights, the direct wire leads from cartridge to  phono amp, and a new brass manifold ( not evident from the main web-site). Both the wand and the new manifold are Andrey's contribution to the continued refinement of the Terminator.

Also,  please visit this site: https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/terminator-tonearm-new-arm-mount/. This gentlemen from NZ has developed a new arm mount for the Terminator which advanced the arm's sonics even further. It was reading through the the development of this new arm mount that convinced me to order the Terminator after much prior research. I did not purchase the arm mount from NZ as it would not readily fit my Verdier La Platine, instead Andrey made a custom arm mount. It is in essence a two point support mount rather than a single point support rod that is commonly used. 

My previous arm was a SME V of 1990's vintage mounted with a ZYX airy. The Terminator is several notch above the SME V. All the accolades given to the Terminator seem justified. My main point in writing is that the new developments by Andrey, i.e. the carbon fibre wand and the newest brass manifold, seem to improve upon the Terminator even more ( see link above ). This is the news that I wanted to share with existing Terminator owners. I asked Andrey to start a blog on all the new stuff that is happening with the arm, but it seems that he is busy making 'things'!

ledoux1238
I have been following a thread on azimuth and other cartridge adjustment issues. I would like to ask how do you set Vertical Tracking Force on the Terminator? According to the manual, you set VTF before turning on the air pump. However, when the air pump comes on, would the air pressure not provide a lift to the slider and thereby reduce the downward tracking force by a fraction?  
This is a follow up to my VTF set up query. There is a 0.03 g tracking force differential with the air pump turned on or off. I had assumed that the tracking force would be less with the pump on. However, it turns out to be the opposite case. After much adjustment,  the ZYX ultimate 1000 is playing at 2.00 g, exactly as manufacturer recommended, but measured with the pump on. I am now of the opinion that measuring with the pump on is more accurate.

The real revelation for me was experimenting with surge tank. Due to Corvid 19, I have an empty 5 liter tank used for storing alcohol laying around. Just out of curiosity, the tank was converted with nozzles and inserted between the existing 1 liter tank and the Terminator. The pump used remains the original Sera. The increase in SQ is quite noticeable. The separation of instruments within the soundstage is shaper, the soundstage width increased beyond the speaker, and the soundstage depth is much more defined. The $5 I spent is comparable to a $1000 or more ( ?) cartridge upgrade. @terry9 had mentioned his upgrade in pump and surge tank. But this is just a simple addition of a larger surge tank for a great amount of sound improvement!! Highly recommended if your listening environment will allow it. The question for me is whether an additional say, 10 liter, tank will yield even greater improvement in sound?

Ten litre tank? Don't see how it could hurt. Why don't you try it and let us know?

Glad it's working for you - and yes, measure with the pump on. What happens is that the inboard end of the wand lifts, which lowers the cartridge end and puts more weight on the stylus. 
In adding the 5 liter in series with the existing 1 liter, I noticed that a slight increase in pump pressure was needed to prevent the tonearm from mistracking. Any additional surge tank will probably result in further increase in pressure. I was actually contemplating a 30  liter tank in series with greater reduction in air fluctuation. And I think the Sera pump with a max output of .14 bar should be able to handle.  How does one go about  determining  the point of diminishing return  on reduced air fluctuation?