My #@%$ Cat Destroyed My ARC REF 5SE. Soliciting Suggestions.

(Public service announcement-keep your pets away from your audio equipment)

I love my cat. But not as much as I once did :-)
The short story is cat pee corroded the main board to my ARC REF 5SE. 

Homeowners insurance doesn't cover repair or replacement because owning a pet means you assume liability/responsibility. Ironically, or strangely enough, If my neighbor's cat or dog did this, I could collect.

My options-
Repair it. Fixing it will cost 7K. The main board alone is 6K.
Buy a pre-owned replacement at close to similar price. And if I go pre-owned, what's the market on a REF 5SE with a destroyed main board.
Go in a different direction.

What would you do?

TIA,
David
128x128wharfy
I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread but cats definitely do not like being left alone for extended periods. Maybe the delay you encountered contributed to the cats behaviour
I was once told of a couple that went on vacation for two weeks (and presumably had a "cat sitter' for the duration)
When they returned from vacation the cat immediately jumped on their antique cabinet, looked them in the eye and proceed to pee all over it

What you need (what we all need at times)  is an old school tech with reasonable prices..  As of course they are rarer than hens teeth.   My only suggestion is to call Northridge Electronics in Simi Valley ,  CA   and talk to Tom.    He has had and has I suspect numerous service provider accounts with major players over the years and is qualified and he has always been reasonable.    I have shipped to him just for his service even though I had lived in a major metro area and there were repair shops there.    Obviously  7k is  just a bit steep.     Hopefully he has not retired yet as hes getting close . 
So sorry for you're loss.  The Ref 5SE can do amazing things to a system. 

Not so sure what your marital situation is but if you think about this the cat might have really done you a favor. Why not turn a bad situation into a great situation?

While the Ref 5SE is great, you now have the opportunity to purchase a slightly used 40 year anniversary or a Ref 10.   If cash wise that can not be done, consider the purchase of a banged up Ref 5SE, and swapping out the board into your existing case (assuming that the case is in great shape).   
Sorry to hear about your troubles, David. From another cat lover, I feel your pain.
To those who are offering advice/reasons for behavior, though well intentioned, you may want to ask David whether he would like/need the advice. I mention this because, if unwanted or unneeded, that advice can feel like a lecture.
To those who are basically saying, "It serves you right", you need to reexamine how you treat others. That kind of behavior is childish and uncharitable.
I agree with gktaudio & teo_audio. I’ve worked in a business that designs and manufactures laboratory test equipment for the past 30 years, and 20 of that was on the bench doing electronic, mechanical, and optical systems repair. I’ve seen it all, and there’s not much that can’t be fixed. Parts can be replaced (if available), repair wires can be run, parts/boards can be scrubbed. The challenge will be finding a shop that is willing to take on the task, and if you can, I can’t imagine this repair coming anywhere near 6k. I wish you the best of luck!
Unless parts are unobtainable, anything can be repaired.  It's just up to you whether it is worth it to do so.  If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate.  You would spend approximately the same for a used REF 5SE vs getting this one repaired. 

I would bite the bullet (never understood what that means) and get it repaired.  But, that's me.  

As for the cat, well, you have received lots of "advice" from cat lovers and non cat lovers alike.

Take your choice. However, this is a part of the family and an animal.  They, like children are trainable and will let you know when they are unhappy.  I would never allow a cat anywhere near my audio equipment.  But, that's me.  This is what happens when you have pets that aren't trained, or want attention.  Well, it got your attention.

My question to you is, what are you going to do about cat so this can't happen again?  no joke.  The cat (like children) must learn that it isn't okay to do this.  So, what will you do?  If you do nothing, then the cat (like children) will run your house.  

If the urine problem was that severe, which I doubt, I would get a new stuffed board and you are done.   First, since this is what I do also, I would inspect the board and diagnose the problem and try to fix it before replacing the board.

I'm not a cat person.  But, I've lived with them and know they have attitudes and issues like any other animal.  But, if you don't teach this cat to never do this again, then guess what?  it will.  

So, here are your options.

1.  Sell the pre-amp as-is with full disclosure.
2.  Buy a used REF 5SE or better yet, just get a used REF 6, or
3.  Keep the pre-amp as a paper weight and go to 2, or
4.  keep the pre-amp and get it repaired.
5.  Train that cat!!!!!!!!  Because if this happens again or something similar, then it really is your fault.

Anything is repairable. 

enjoy