Magneplanar 1.7s to Recruit New Audiophile?

I may be asked for advice on an office/retreat system over a garage or poolhouse to be completed this summer.

Although the budget could be $5-10K plus, this would presumably be if domineering wives or architects were expecting an array of in wall speakers, Creston touch panels and multi channel home theatre junk blah blah blah.

There is hope, however, because this person genuinely loves music and movies.

Therefore, I am hoping to somehow propose the following:

* Oppo Blu Ray / Universal player
* Lenovo or Apple notebook for Pandora, music and movies
* Benchmark DAC / Pre 1
* Odyssey Khartago Monoblocks
* Magneplanar 1.7s
* Signal Cable cables throughout
* Sony LED HDTV from Costco

If anyone thinks they could do better for the money, please let me know,but to me, that would be a great little system for music or movies!
cwlondon

In a related thread, there is a debate going on about new 1.7s vs used Tympanis, 3.3s, 3.6s etc.

So we could also work that into the argument, although I think the person in question might not like used anything, regardless of the logic.
Maggies need a lot of room (at least 3-4' from the back wall and 2-3'from the side walls) and IMHO lots of power & propper placement to sound good. If you don't have the room get other speakers. Used 1.6 speakers should be considered as well as a used innersound esl 300 mark 2 amp. Let someone else break them in and you'll save 50-60%. Or, you might consider the EAD Ovation signature theatermaster and powermaster 2000 presently for sale on Agon. That should run you around $4,000 for speakers/proccessor and amp. If you don't go the EAD combo (can be upgraded by noble electronics) I'd add a tube pre-amp to an innersound SS amp and separate DAC to warm up the SS sound. I use a lector zoe and McCormack dac deluxe. You might consider the Zoe and Bel Canto dac 2 for another $2-3,000. As for a TV, The new panasonic plasma ST models should outperform LED LCD TV's. Look for plasma and LCD Easter sales at 6 ave electronics or electronics expo in NY/NJ. So, that should bring you up to $7-8,000. The blu ray/cd player is up to you. If you play blu ray through your laptop get a good transport for music to use with your dac PS audio lambda, pioneer PD65,proceed CDD etc. or keep it simple with an all in one Oppo. As for cables, you will experiment & eventually upgrade. Signal cables and Blue Jean cables are a good place to start. Good luck with your project.
Personally, I'd go with an MMG/subwoofer combo. Whatever the cost to the "purist" audiophile approach may be, the extended, smooth bass of the subs and the placement flexibility of the smaller Maggies is likely -IMHO- to more than justify it.

The trick, of course, is getting proper integration. I use the Velodyne SMS-1 Digital Room Correction unit (DRC to the subs, only!) for precise control of level matching and all other crossover variables. It's a PITA to set up, but works like a charm. I also use an NHT x-2 active x-over, ahead of the SMS in order to keep the Velo unit out of the main signal path. More complex than most audiophiles prefer, but very, very effective.

Good luck.

Marty
I have owned or used for extended periods of time pair of 1.7s, 3.6Rs and of Tympanis and the 1.7 kill the 3.6s and Tympanis. The only other two models of Magnepan speakers I have heard sound better than the 1.7s is the new 3.7s and 20.1s. I heard them at my friends store. The A-B comparison proved that that the 1.7s were better than the 3.6R's but the 3.7s are killer and I thought actually sounded better than the 20.1s. For $5000.00 to $10,000 budget for entire system. I would start with the 1.7s. You will need a little power. I would grab a used Threshold SA500 for $1500.00. With a $5000 to $10,000 budget and 1.7s it will be a tight budget.