Best Male Singers of the 20th Century

There is an interesting current discussion about the best female vocalists on CD. I have my own ideas about the best male singers (any category) of the 20th Century, but would like to hear other opinions.
sdcampbell
Bobby Darin, Harry Connick Jr., Nat King Cole. Also, Freddy Murcury, great voice, probably could have sung just about any style of music.
Harry Connick Jr. is an example of somebody who I think REALLY shouldn't be discussed on this post. Talk about somebody who is completely derivative. A pale -- and obnoxious, in my view -- imitation of Sinatra. I also would take issue with saying that the members of Credence Clearwater Revival were all "mediocre" individually. That's probably true for the three other than John Fogerty, but Fogerty was everything in CCR and is clearly among the best of the bunch of singers/guitarists/songwriters of his generation.
I was speaking of male singing voice, not material, or attitude of those individuals. I still think Connick Jr. has a great voice. If we want to speak of total package; attitude, material, and voice, then I will have to re-submit my list.
I could get pretty crazy about a Harry Connick Jr. pick, but I don't want to offend anyone. I don't think Sinatra was the absolute best. Among crooners, I would pick Billy Eckstine and Nat King Cole over Sinatra. But at least noone can say Sinatra wasn't unique. He had a style, a way of presenting a song which was all his own and one that he perfected over the span of his career. "Derivative" is the perfect way to describe Harry Connick Jr. as a singer. Here is another guy who is an excellent musician, great pianist, but as a singer? Could he try to sound any more like Sinatra? IMHO, you can't be considered the best, or one of the best, when you walk in someone else's very large footsteps. I often wondered what Sinatra thought of him. If I were Sinatra and probably beyond the end of my very long and esteemed career when this guy came along, I would be angry and bitter! This is all just my opinion, so don't yell at me.
Rayhall - very interesting comments. From what little I've read, Sinatra was gracious and kind to Connick. I heard the 1st time Connick performed in front of the Chairman, he totally choked, clammed the song and had to start over again, having humiliated himself in front of his Idol and Demigod. Sinatra apparently was encouraging and gentle...perhaps the way one is with inept children. Now, don't all nuke me...I'm certainly not implying Connick is either inept or immature. But I would acknowledge there is much truth in Rayhall's observation about disparity between the accolade "best" and a blatantly derivative artist. BTW, I'm going to tell the Chairman (via the 800-psychic hotline) that you're placing Nat in front of him and he may send Jimmy Hoffa after you...