Harbeth 30.1 or 40.1

I would like to get a pair of Harbeth, and wondering if 30.1 or 40.1 is better.  My room size is about 18’ x 16’.  I currently have a pair of Spatial Audio X5 with large 12” mid range driver.  I would say I listen in low to low-medium volume for Jazz and vocals.  Is 40.1 too big for my area?  I am afraid if I am not listening to what it is supposed to sound like if I don’t turn up the volume.

however, if I buy the 30.1, is that I should get a pair of sub?  Versus for 40.1, I assumed I don’t need subs?
gte357s
@jjss49 can you elaborate?  Honestly, don’t really know the differences.  But it seems the 30.1 and 40.1 are more popular.  I would like to be educated.

thanks.
@gte357s if there's nothing wrong with your current speaker/amp setup and you are basing your desire on a YouTube video I think you would be wasting your $$$" IMHO. Not only will you need a new amp but also different cables to best match.

I have a pair of Harbeth 30.2s in a room about the same size as yours. I use a Line Magnetic Premium 845 amp. The bass is silly good for a stand mount speaker. I took a pair of nice subs (Axiom EP500s) out of the system. Didn't need them. The midrange? Right up there with the best I've ever heard.

Excel Audio, in Newport Beach also carries the 40.2s. Wow! They sound beautiful, but they are physically too big for my room.  But, still, I'm thinking about it.

This is a no brainer - get the 40.1 if you must have one or the other. It can easily be used in a room like yours. Both designs share the same well regarded tweeter and are both considered excellent loudspeakers, but the 40 is naturally more excellent.

Furthermore all Harbeth speakers can be used near field and are voiced to sound good at low volumes.

However, however, just like @andysf asked above, I would also ask you to think carefully before pulling the trigger.

I’m far from certain that the Spatial X5s are so easily bettered.

Have you considered the possibility that your Spatial X5 speakers might even be better than the Harbeth 40.1s?
It’s certainly not impossible.

Isn’t it all too easy to sometimes denigrate what we have whilst pursuing something better?

Just yesterday I was playing a Smiths compilation on my Tannoys and it suddenly hit me, ’Wow, these are really good speakers!’

Maybe Morrissey’s voice and diction could have been a touch cleaner, maybe the speakers could have disappeared better leaving a ghost like sound behind, maybe the timbre could have been a hint more life-like, but yeah, pretty good.

Good enough to let me forget that I was listening to a recording.

At least for a while.
Curious why the Super HL5 Plus isn't under consideration?  I haven't heard the 30 or 40 series.  One of my friends purchased some 40.2's recently and I'll be checking those out tomorrow.